Conservative force pairs

In summary, OP's equation shows that the force on a point mass depends on the position of the point mass itself, not the position of the "source" or "primed" particle.
Hajarmq
Let F_ki be the force applied by a point mass i on a point mass k. This force depends on the variables x_k and x_i which are the position vectors of respectively k and i (to simplify let´'s consider this in 1 dimension). Suppose this force is conservative. Then, according to my course and wikipedia, it can be written as:
Unbenannt.jpg
My question is: why is the partial derivative with respect to x_k, the coordinate of the point mass the force is applied on? Why not x_i, or both x_i and x_k, since the potential depends on both of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition the force on a particle is, for a conservative force, given as the gradient of a potential wrt. the position of that particle.

If you have a socalled two-body force, the potential for a system of ##N## point particles is given by
$$V(\vec{x}_1,\ldots,\vec{x}_2)=\sum_{j<k} V_{jk}(\vec{x}_j,\vec{x}_k).$$
The force on the ##i##-th particle then is
$$\vec{F}_i=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}_1,\ldots,\vec{x}_N)=-\sum_{k \neq i} \vec{\nabla}_i V_{ik}(\vec{x}_i,\vec{x}_k).$$

vanhees71 said:
By definition the force on a particle is, for a conservative force, given as the gradient of a potential wrt. the position of that particle.

If you have a socalled two-body force, the potential for a system of ##N## point particles is given by
$$V(\vec{x}_1,\ldots,\vec{x}_2)=\sum_{j<k} V_{jk}(\vec{x}_j,\vec{x}_k).$$
The force on the ##i##-th particle then is
$$\vec{F}_i=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}_1,\ldots,\vec{x}_N)=-\sum_{k \neq i} \vec{\nabla}_i V_{ik}(\vec{x}_i,\vec{x}_k).$$
I think the answer is a bit more subtle. In two-body forces one body is at the "source" (primed) coordinates and the other is at the "field" (unprimed) coordinates. Then one writes,$$V[(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}'_1),\ldots,(\vec{x}_N-\vec{x}'_N)]=\sum_{j<k} V_{jk}[(\vec{x}_j-\vec x'_j),(\vec{x}_k-\vec x'_k)].$$In order to find the force on the ##i##th particle, derivatives need to be taken with respect to the unprimed field coordinates where the particle is.

In OP's equation ##x_k## is the field coordinate and ##x_i## the source coordinate. If this equation is in OP's course notes and Wikipedia (reference?), the meaning of the coordinates must have been given.

Hajarmq said:
why is the partial derivative with respect to x_k, the coordinate of the point mass the force is applied on? Why not x_i, or both x_i and x_k, since the potential depends on both of them?
As mentioned above this is basically how ##V## is defined. To motivate that definition, let’s think about what we want ##V## to do.

We want the potential to tell us the work done on a particle. The work done on a given particle is given by ##\vec F \cdot \Delta\vec x## where ##\vec F## is a force acting on the given particle and ##\Delta\vec x## is the displacement of that particle.

So the work done on a particle is given by the force on that particle and the displacement of that particle. Therefore, the partial derivative in the definition of ##V## should be with respect to the position of the particle that the force is acting on, which is ##x_k##

Likes Hajarmq
kuruman said:
I think the answer is a bit more subtle. In two-body forces one body is at the "source" (primed) coordinates and the other is at the "field" (unprimed) coordinates. Then one writes,$$V[(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}'_1),\ldots,(\vec{x}_N-\vec{x}'_N)]=\sum_{j<k} V_{jk}[(\vec{x}_j-\vec x'_j),(\vec{x}_k-\vec x'_k)].$$In order to find the force on the ##i##th particle, derivatives need to be taken with respect to the unprimed field coordinates where the particle is.

In OP's equation ##x_k## is the field coordinate and ##x_i## the source coordinate. If this equation is in OP's course notes and Wikipedia (reference?), the meaning of the coordinates must have been given.
There are ##N## point particles, and the forces in Newtonian mechanics only depend on the positions of these ##N## point particles. What should thus the primed position vectors mean?

Of course you are right. Taking Galilei invariance of Newtonian spacetime into account the two-body forces must be central forces, i.e.,
$$V_{jk}(\vec{x}_j,\vec{x}_k)=V_{jk}(|\vec{x}_j-\vec{x}_k|)$$
due to homogeneity and isotropu of space. That the ##V_{jk}## also don't depend on ##t## is due to time-translation invariance.

Likes Hajarmq

Related to Conservative force pairs

1. What are conservative force pairs?

Conservative force pairs are a pair of forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, and have the ability to do work on an object. They are called "conservative" because the work done by these forces is independent of the path taken by the object.

2. What are some examples of conservative force pairs?

Some examples of conservative force pairs include gravity and normal force, spring force and elastic force, and magnetic force and electric force.

3. How do conservative force pairs affect an object's energy?

Conservative force pairs can either increase or decrease an object's potential energy, depending on the direction of the forces and the displacement of the object. If the forces are in the same direction as the displacement, the object's potential energy will increase. If the forces are in the opposite direction of the displacement, the object's potential energy will decrease.

4. How are conservative force pairs different from non-conservative force pairs?

Unlike conservative force pairs, non-conservative force pairs do not have the ability to do work on an object without changing its energy. Non-conservative forces, such as friction and air resistance, dissipate energy and cause an object to lose mechanical energy.

5. How are conservative force pairs used in real-life applications?

Conservative force pairs are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides. They are also used in the study of planetary motion and the design of spacecraft trajectories. In addition, they play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in various physical systems.