Is AP French Necessary for Understanding Morin's Mechanics Book?

  • Topic: Relativity 
  • Thread starter Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ap Morin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
RubinLicht
Messages
131
Reaction score
8
I'm planning to do Morins mechanics book either way, so I'd like to know if I'll be missing out on anything if I do not do the book by ap french.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had an introductory mechanics course before? Or would Morin be your first exposure?

I haven't worked through it myself, but according to many people Morin is a notoriously challenging book. It also contains more advanced material than AP French's book, such as Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.
 
Mondayman said:
Have you had an introductory mechanics course before? Or would Morin be your first exposure?

I haven't worked through it myself, but according to many people Morin is a notoriously challenging book. It also contains more advanced material than AP French's book, such as Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.
I'll be my third exposure (although my first two were far from complete) I've taken ap physics 1 and C, and did most of the classical mechanics chapters in kleppner other than the second angular momentum chapter, so I should be good enough to go into Morin. I'm doing this for physics Olympiad prep.

Just in case it's not clear, I'm referring to ap French's book that focuses completely on special relativity, Morin is a general mechanics book that goes through all the topics.
 
Oh okay, I thought you meant Newtonian Mechanics. While I have his book on SR, I couldn't comment on how good it is. I bought the entire series at a garage sale for 50 bucks, but I'm not at that level.

From my understanding, the series is well written, but somewhat outdated. I don't think it would hurt to have the SR book on hand though.