1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is Civil engineering a stable career path ?

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    I have read it is highly cyclical I have also heard that it is very stable.

Is Civil Engineering a stable career ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2
    From occupational handbook (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm):

Civil engineering is similar to a doctor. No matter what happens, society will always need doctors, civil engineers, governmental officials?, and something else :uhh:. The basic professions to run a town/city/civilization.
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends what area you are in.
    Natural resources mining/quarrying/oil are very cyclical, at the moment there is a huge boom and you can't find a mining engineer anywhere!
    Public works type jobs, checking bridges and highway projects are a little more stable unless you are a high flyer chasing the next mega-project.
    And you can always work for yourself, at least in countries where the proffesion is highly regulated, there is always a demand for engineers to sign off on foundations for new buildings, flood channels, new phone masts etc.
  5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    I worked as a civil engineering (transportation) intern for 3 summers, and from my experience civil engineering looks to be a stable profession. Just about every form of transportation requires an element of civil engineering (roads, railways, bridges, runways, marine port structures).

Where the jobs are available might change drastically, however. I know a few people I worked with became PE's in additional states so that they could move to where their expertise was needed. At any given time, some parts of the country have a higher demand for civil engineers.

I also know that there are a lot of available positions for entry level civil engineers right now, as I keep seeing postings for them on careerbuilder, in fact I see more postings for civil than just about any other engineering position.
  6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    I am going to be starting an associates degree in civil engineer that is very CAD intensive. Most of the subjects seem to be based on CAD there are still mathematics and physics subjects. The course is 2 years long and can grant 2 years credit on a Bachelors of engineering.

I was wondering if there is much of scope for me to look for a job as a CAD technician for civil engineers part time or fulltime (some classes can be taken at night) once I get stuck into the course. I am 24 so I am hoping there is someway I can get experience as a tech before finishing the entire degree.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?