1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is computer engineering the same as software engineering

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    Is software engineering another name for computer engineering or is it diffrant and more specifc and can a computer engineer apply for a software engineer job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually I have never heard the phrase "computer engineering" but off hand, I would expect it to have more to do with designing computer hardward than soft ware.

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Midnight94! :smile:

I also never heard of the phrase computer engineering.

I do know that many different phrases are going around:

- Programmer
    - (Software) developer
    - Software engineer
    - Software architect
    - System architect
    - (Software/system) analist
    - Consultant
    - Computer scientist

Afaik different institutions handle these titles/roles differently.
    They can mean anything from the lowest to the highest complexity levels, and also from the lowest to highest paying jobs.

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4
    I have an undergrad degree in Computer Engineering from many, many years ago, and at the time, it was a combination of software *and* hardware administered by the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. So while you had your usual programming languages and compiler courses, you also had digital design and computer architecture courses.

The good thing about the computer industry is that they really aren't hung up on exactly what degree you have or don't have... it's more a question of experience and skills. So someone with a computer engineering degree can certainly apply for software engineering jobs, as long as you have the ability to do the work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook