Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is dark/vacuum potential energy infinite?

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    And virtual particles potential energy is infinite too?
    As more and more dark energy is created does this mean that the potential energy of dark energy is infinite? Does that happen for virtual particles in vacuum and vacuum energy too?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As has been explained over and over on this forum, virtual particles are not real, they are a useful mathematical fiction. Non-existent things don't HAVE potential energy.

The total amount of dark energy in the universe increases over time but that does not imply infinite "potential energy". For that matter, what IS the "potential energy" of dark energy? Can you define that in any quantifiable way?

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    Do you remember the Law of Conservation of Energy and Matter? It says energy cant be created or destroyed but converted to other forms (.ie. matter).
    For infinite energy to exist there must first be infinite matter.

5. Oct 14, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As has been explained MANY times on this forum, conservation of energy does not apply on cosmological scales.

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5
    I'm new, sorry!

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6
    The universe is expanding, the energy density remains constant, so, in essence you could say that energy is being created (and the Law of Energy Conservation violated). We do not know much about the universe at the moment as the universe is still very young. However, I still don't understand the ''Potential Energy'' part of your question!

Edit*: I looked at the question again and noticed that you were implying that energy has energy?

8. Oct 14, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

AGAIN, conservation of energy is NOT violated because it does not apply on cosmological scales.

9. Oct 14, 2016 #8
    What about in redshift of a photon? If the space expands the wavelength of the photon increases,as energy is inversely proportional to wavelength that means that the energy of the photon decreases when space expands,thus, the Law of Energy Conservation is not conserved!!!

10. Oct 14, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly. As I keep saying it doesn't apply on cosmological scales.

This whole bit of the photon's energy just evaporating was hard for me to wrap my head around at first, but it's supported by all the evidence.

11. Oct 14, 2016 #10
    ...the potential dark energy that can be created is iinfiinite? Does this happens also with vacuum energy and virtual particles in vacuum? (Since there is an infinite number of potential virtual particles the total energy of those particles is infinite)?

12. Oct 14, 2016 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Didn't you already ask this and get answers? Did you not like the answers you were provided?

13. Oct 14, 2016 #12

Nugatory

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  14. Oct 14, 2016 #13

Dale

Yes, I merged them back together.

15. Oct 15, 2016 #14

Nugatory

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted