1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is electric field decomposable when detected by CCD?

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm learning light interference and confused by the concepts. Like the figure I attached below, while computing the "interference" of the intersection point on the CCD, I used to do this ([itex] E [/itex] represents the electric field):

[itex] E_{CCD}=E_1 \cdot e^{i (\omega t + \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} l)} + E_2 \cdot e^{i (\omega t + \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} (l+d \cdot sin \alpha))} [/itex]

I know this is wrong because electric field is directional and I should decompose it so that only components in the same direction add up -- yet I'm not sure how to do it. Does a CCD detector respect the direction of fields?

2. Relevant equations
    Described above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Described above.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know why you can't use traditional ray optics with the CCD at the location of the real image. You need to focus on a CCD just like on a screen or film. But perhaps I'm way off base here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted