1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is freshmen-level "all-physics" text worth buying/having as an advanced student?

Tags:
  1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    A senior engineering student would like to have a copy of calculus (like Stewart or Thomas-Finney) handy to look up from time to time while solving an engineering or physics problem.

My question is, can the same be said about a freshman level physics text, like Halliday-Resnick or Young-Freedman? Do advanced physics students need look up something from their copy of freshman text, even if they have other specialized upper division texts like Griffiths, Taylor, etc?

Another related question: Is having a non-calculus physics text (again like HR or YF) good when you can do calculus based physics? You may not need it but it's good to look at same problem from a calculus and a non-calculus POV (so it could help you water-down your own problem to non-calculus level, if you're explaining something to another beginner student)?

Another related question: In math you have (and sometimes need) "all of pre-college math in one book" in the form of Lang Basic Mathematics or Simmons Precalculus in a Nutshell. That combined with Stewart Calculus can act as "all of pre-sophomore math". Can HR or YF act as such a "all of pre-sophomore physics" reference? (although I've heard they're overexplained for an advanced student so I'd prefer a comprehensive text that is somewhat terse as well; less talk, more problems; because for talk you can always read the Feynman lectures)

I have tried to explain myself as much as possible; hopefully I can get some advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

I still refer to my copy of Halliday & Resnick from time to time, even though I took the course in 1962. It was a good, clear, well illustrated text, and I can usually find what I want quickly, provided it is covered at all.

I have found my old math books to be largely worthless, with the exception of Kaplan's Advanced Calc and Lass for Vector & Tensor Analysis. I have other more specialized references that are more useful for most math topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook