Is Geophysics the Right Career Path for a Math Major?

• Physics
  • Thread starter andrassy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geophysics
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of entering the field of geophysics related to oil and gas exploration with a mathematics degree. It is possible to go into a masters in geophysics with a background in mathematics, but it is recommended to take electives in geology, programming, physics, and chemistry. Day to day life in the industry involves processing data and working with other technical backgrounds in geoscience and geoengineering. The conversation also mentions the potential for switching to other geophysics fields in case of changes in the industry. The difference between geophysics and geology is also highlighted.
andrassy
Hello,

I am currently entering my junior year of undergrad with a major in mathematics. I am considering potential careers options and I came across the field of geophysics related to oil and gas exploration. Is there anyone here with experience is such a field that I could talk to? At the very least, is it possible to go right from a math degree into this field, or if not, is it possible to go right into a masters in geophysics from my background (it appears as if it is, but I am not positive). The reasons I am interested are that it appears to be a lucrative field that combines math, physics, chem, technology, and travel, all things I am interested in. If anyone could chime in I would appreciate it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are exactly on the right track. A BSc in applied maths is fine, you will need choose electives or extra subjects in geology, programming (matlab, c++, fortran), physics (acoustics, EM and more) and a bit of chem which will gives you an edge.

From there you can go into a MSc like you said and work on a seismic method project for petroleum companies or do electromagnetics geophysics for mineral and engineering companies.

Thanks that is good to know. I don't actually have any classes in geology, programming, physics, or chem atm, but I could possibly take a few before I graduate. Hopefully that won't be a huge impediment to get into a grad program.

Does anyone know what day to day life is like for someone in the business? I am particularly interested in oil/gas exploration, but I was wondering if the future was short for such careers. Although the electromagnetics field sounds fairly interesting as well. Would it be possible to start with petro companies and then if that industry starts to get weak if alternatives fuels are developed, switch into another geophysics field outside your specialty?

First off EM methods is tiny compared to seismics exploration. When you start your new job the company will get you and primarily teach you how to process data with their software and you will be doing that for a while.

Then later you may work on acquisition and interpretation with geologists. This is the key part you will have to communicate with people from other technical backgrounds in geoscience and geoengineering.

Petroleum companies will not get weak ever, but say if they do you can easier move into another geoscience job since you had worked with others e.g. petrophysics and reservoir engineering.

billybob5588 said:
First off EM methods is tiny compared to seismics exploration. When you start your new job the company will get you and primarily teach you how to process data with their software and you will be doing that for a while.

Then later you may work on acquisition and interpretation with geologists. This is the key part you will have to communicate with people from other technical backgrounds in geoscience and geoengineering.

Petroleum companies will not get weak ever, but say if they do you can easier move into another geoscience job since you had worked with others e.g. petrophysics and reservoir engineering.
Thats good to know. Are you in the industry? you seem very knowledgeable. I'd really like to learn more about what a geophysicist does on a day to day basis. Do you go out in the field a lot/work from an office, etc, and what you actually do. I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to know about the career that I am now actively considering.

Also, would I be able to get into a MSc program in geophysics with just a bachelors in math (we don't have applied math) with very minimal coursework in compsci/physics, and no coursework in geology?

Thanks for all your help!

Also for someone looking to go into petroleum geology careers, is geophysics or geology the better Masters degree to hold?

- Firstly geology and geophysics are two different fields as well as geochemistry (even though there is "some" overlap). If you want to do geophysics then do geophysics at school.

- I am not sure about the requirements for entry into MSc in your region.

- Seismic geophysicist particularly early in their careers usually work indoors processing data as i said before. On the other hand EM geophysicists tend to do a lot more field work, it just depends.

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a branch of science that deals with the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planetary bodies. It involves the study of the Earth's structure, composition, and dynamics using various techniques, including seismology, gravity and magnetic surveys, and remote sensing.

2. How is geophysics used in everyday life?

Geophysics has a wide range of practical applications in everyday life. It is used for exploring natural resources like oil, gas, and minerals, as well as for assessing potential hazards such as earthquakes and landslides. It also plays a crucial role in weather forecasting, navigation, and the study of climate change.

3. What are the main methods used in geophysics?

The main methods used in geophysics include seismic surveys, magnetic and gravity surveys, electrical and electromagnetic surveys, and remote sensing techniques. Each method utilizes different physical properties of the Earth to create images and maps of the subsurface.

4. How does geophysics contribute to our understanding of the Earth?

Geophysics helps us better understand the Earth's internal structure, composition, and processes. By studying seismic waves, for example, we can learn about the different layers of the Earth's interior and how they behave during earthquakes. Geophysics also provides valuable insights into the formation and evolution of the Earth and other planetary bodies.

5. What are some career options in geophysics?

A career in geophysics can lead to a variety of exciting opportunities. Some common career options include working as a geophysicist for a natural resources company, a researcher at a university or government agency, or a consultant for environmental and engineering firms. Geophysicists can also specialize in specific techniques or fields, such as earthquake seismology or planetary geophysics.