Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is george w bush the worst president ever?

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I am only 65 years old so i am not sure, i can only remember back to truman.

Anyone with more history background?

Bush has given us such an amazing example that even right wing christian conservatives like Mitt Romney are claiming to be the agents of change.

Exactly how does Romney differ from Bush, that he is not stupid? Help me out here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Romney is Mormon (not quite Christian - but then his religion shouldn't matter), and AFAIK, Romney actually worked and was a real manager of a company. :biggrin:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney#Business_career - Wikipedia is probably suitable for this thread. :rolleyes:

Bush takes the prize as the worst president, IMO, eclipsing even Harding.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I used to live in Utah, and I seem to recall that Mormons consider themselves christians, but i may be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Jan 15, 2008 #4
    It depends on how you rate them. LBJ killed a lot more people in his war (on both sides) and trashed the economy real quick (the inflation in the seventies was really his fault). On the other hand he did some good stuff too. Hard to say. Bush is certainly way below average though.

6. Jan 15, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, Mormons are Christians. They are formally called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They use the Bible, and the Book of Mormon as a "supplemental text".

Given that I believe that Bush is an enemy of the state and should probably be up on war crimes charges, yes, I would say he is the worst.

How is Romney different? He doesn't have Cheney standing next to him. Romney also has better skin and nicer hair.

I don't like Romney but he would be better than Bush. He must be reasonably intelligent, at least.

Mathwonk, how do you think Bush compares to Nixon? Remember the good ole days when Nixon was the prime example of corruption? How far we have sunk!

7. Jan 15, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

mathwonk, if you do a search, you'll probably find the several threads we've had asking this exact question. They provide a history lesson of some truly awful Presidents. You can also google the question.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to a matter of opinion and as you imply - people's opinions are shaped by what they know and their short memories.

To put a finer point on it, of the half a dozen different things people generally think of when they do their rankings, I see only one ('Gitmo) that has the potential to be a [nearly] universally agreed upon heavy and lasting black stain.

8. Jan 15, 2008 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If starting a unnecessary war for personal reasons is not a black stain then what is? Bush must be the first president to use US forces to resolve a personal vendetta. IMHO This makes him, as Ivan said a war criminal.

9. Jan 15, 2008 #8
    i like to think of a presidential list of faliures:
    invade 2 countries: check
    turn a succesfull economy into a failing one: check
    turn 1.3 billion people into alleged terrorists: check
    make your enemies stronger: check
    be the worst speaker in american history: check
    cause genocide: check
    abuse power: check
    longest time spent in vacations: check
    be loathed by michale moore: check
    help your corparate buddies by waging a few wars for them: check
    total score: 10/10
    good for you bush, you rank as the worst president of the US in modern history.

10. Jan 15, 2008 #9
    Oh man, what was the UN and the rest of the world doing when all this was going on?

Where were those purveyors of liberty (Russia, China, France and Germany) at the time? They must have been forcibly removed from their seats in the UN.

For their was not a single resolution offered that condemned the US action.

11. Jan 15, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One more (I'm sure we can brainstorm a bunch) -
    Lose any claim we had to the 'moral high ground': check

12. Jan 15, 2008 #11
    extra marks for mr. bush!

13. Jan 15, 2008 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With this metric Bush pales in comparison to FDR.
    This is a good thing. Not being loathed by Michael Moore would be a bad sign.

14. Jan 15, 2008 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did not see them on the ground fighting either. If there had been a real reason for the invasion would not there been some help? Bush was bound and determined to finish the job his pappy started.

15. Jan 15, 2008 #14
    Well, I'm Canadian, so I suppose I have no right to comment, but it seems to me that if you agree with the founding fathers on much of anything, than Abraham Lincoln was the worst president.

16. Jan 15, 2008 #15
  17. Jan 15, 2008 #16
    Either that or they were making money under the table despite the official sanctions THEY had voted to initiate and enforce.

Got to love the revisionism.

18. Jan 15, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't find the video on the web, but CNN showed Bush and Bahrain's king marching with swords held in their right hand and over their right shoulder. It being a Barhrainian ceremony, the Bharain king displayed the proper way to march with a sword - serious, solemn, and proud. I wouldn't expect an American President to look quite as natural, but Bush's marching captured my image of him perfectly.

His walking style would have been more appropriate for Harry Husker (the Nebraska Cornhusker's mascot). It said "I'm an ignorant hick." His sword laid flat and at an angle - as if he were carrying a pitchfork back to the farmhouse after a day's work baling hay (while the Bahrainian king's sword rested on his shoulder with the blade parallel to his body and parellel with the direction he was walking).

His expression was worse. An open, ignorant expression would have at least been consistent with his marching style. Instead, his expression was more arrogant ignorance. "Life is easy, especially if you're rich and your daddy's President of the USA."

Expect his daddy's not President of the USA anymore - he is!

"I am? Heh hee, you gotta love the USA."

Seven years on the job and he's not grown even a smidge. And it shows in both his policies and the people he hires to carry those policies out.

19. Jan 15, 2008 #18

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/01/AR2006120101509.html

This is a newspapr article written by an academic, citing how Arthur Schlesinger ranks Bush and others. Since Schlesinger is considered a leading Presidential scholar, it is worth a look. -- if you are disinclined to peek - he finds Bush to be the worst by a long shot, but for completely different reasons than those cited by Greg's link or other posts in this thread.

20. Jan 15, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

21. Jan 15, 2008 #20
    One thing different about the Bush Presidency is that it has been veiled in secrecy. Until the secret web is untangled, if ever, history scholars will be to a great great extent left in the dark.

Bush's greatest obvious failure was to allow Cheney to control the executive branch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?