Is Group G Abelian if f(a)=a^-1 is a Homomorphism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ldelong
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ldelong
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that Group G is abelian iff the function f:G to G given by f(a)=a^-1 is a homomorphism

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Group G must be communitative for it to be abelian I have no idea where to start to begin to prove this I know that homomorphic means that complete the operation first on a in the group gets mapped to an element that the operation is completed 2nd. Help... I really need a jumping point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by writing out some relevant definitions and basic facts along with the facts you're given. Often this is also where you finish. In this case, remember that the condition for f to be a homomorphism is f(ab)=f(a)f(b). Now use the definition of f.
 
Last edited:
ldelong said:
Group G must be communitative for it to be abelian


When I see things like that I worry. Commutative and abelian are synonyms.
 
Actually there's not much to prove. It is, as StatusX already said, a matter of writing out the definition of homeomorphism and plugging in commutativity of the group and the definition of f at the right points.

So just start writing something down, then tell us where you get stuck.