Is Higgs boson exactly energy ?

In summary, the Higgs boson is a theoretical elementary particle with no spin, electric charge, or color charge, and it just has mass. It does not make sense to say that it is exactly energy or a form of energy, similar to saying that a vehicle is gas mileage. The Higgs boson has momentum, which can be calculated using the special relativistic formula. The equation E=mc^2 does not mean that mass is equivalent to energy, but rather that an object with mass has associated energy. Energy is not a physical substance, but rather a numerical value that determines an object's behavior.
big_bounce
Is Higgs boson a form of energy ?

Hello all .
We know Higgs boson or Higgs particle is a theoretical elementary particle and in the Standard Model, the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?

And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ? ( refer to Conservation of momentum )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A fundamental particle in specially relativistic QFT is the reunion of its attributes, one of which being the 4-momentum covector with the normal components: rest mass + spatial linear momentum. The Higgs makes no exception, once its possible interactions with the rest of the fundamental particles (graphically illustrated by Feynman diagrams) are calculated.

big_bounce said:
the Higgs particle is a boson with no spin, electric charge, or color charge and it just has mass .
So what's the problem when we say they are exactly energy or a form of energy ?

This is a bit like saying, "A zeppelin is a type of vehicle with no wheels, no trunk, and no mirrors, so can we say that a zeppelin is exactly gas mileage?"

That is, it doesn't make much sense. Energy is a property of individual particles, just as gas mileage is a property of individual vehicles. It makes about as much sense to say that a particle "is energy" as it makes to say that a vehicle "is gas mileage."

big_bounce said:
And we know Higgs boson can decay to two photons and photons have momentum so is that mean Higss boson has momentum ?

Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.

The_Duck said:
Any particle has a momentum. The momentum of a specific particle is related to its energy and its rest mass by the special relativistic formula ##p = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2}##.

Anyone can answer .E stand on what ?
How can calculate this energy ?
Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ?

Last edited:
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.

Vanadium 50 said:
"E stand on what" is not English. If you are using a machine translator, you might want to try a different one.

"How can calculate this energy ?" is not English either, and I would have said that I could figure out what you meant, except that you have the equation right there.

"Think about Z boson : how can we calculate momentum of Z boson in atom ? " Please stick to the topic.

It's obvious by his previous posts that this one has typos. Also, the equation is right there assuming that you simply substitute E with Z. However, I don't think that this is what he had in mind and I believe you know this.

Vanadium 50 said:

I'm sure the OP appreciates the English lesson, but I assume he was here out of interest in physics. Maybe YOU could stick to the topic.

If you understand what "E stand on what" means, perhaps you could answer him.

I've never liked all this "mass = energy" talk. It comes from E= mc^2, but how come we never talk about "frequency = energy" in the relation E = hf for a wave? If something's got mass it has some stored energy associated with it, but it's not the same thing. Energy is just a number that dictates an object's capacity to behave a certain way, it isn't "stuff", it's just a number that has to stay the same before and after you've done all your calculations.

1. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It was proposed in the 1960s by Peter Higgs and other physicists to explain how particles in the universe have mass.

2. How was the Higgs boson discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists used data from the LHC to observe the decay of particles into other particles, which could only occur if the Higgs boson existed.

3. What is the relationship between Higgs boson and energy?

The Higgs boson is not exactly energy, but it is related to energy. According to the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for giving particles their mass through interaction with the Higgs field, which permeates all of space. The amount of energy a particle has can affect its interaction with the Higgs field and therefore its mass.

4. How does the Higgs boson relate to the search for the theory of everything?

The Higgs boson is a crucial piece of the puzzle in the search for the theory of everything, which aims to explain all of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. Its discovery helps validate the Standard Model, which is currently the most comprehensive theory to describe the fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. Can the Higgs boson be used for practical applications?

At this time, there are no practical applications for the Higgs boson. However, its discovery has advanced our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies in the future. For now, the Higgs boson remains a fundamental building block in our understanding of the universe.