1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is industrial engineering similar to computer science?

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    I'm switching my community college choice soon form bitoechnology technician (which I've grown disillusioned with) to computer systems technician: software support which might hopefully lead me to the computer systems technician: software development.Something that occured to me is how even though the programs relation to natural sciences is like nominal or superficial is if it's like industrial engineering.I would have gone into industrial engineering but heavily due to stuff relating to lacking prerequitsites in high school I couldn't.I mean I've heard of stuff on this forum of people going into industrial engineering sometime during mechanical along with ussually seeing the two programs under the same like course outline at most of the universities I've looked up even though industrial engineering is mostly about (from what I know) mathematical analysis of the processes and their results but not very much about say all the machinery that is used in the process.Sorry if that last sentance isn't well worded but d you still catch my idea?.Is there a general diff btw computer sci and engineering I'm not considering?.Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

fss

Depends on the curriculum I guess, but usually they aren't very similar at all.

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Yea I agree,

Industrial engineering would consist of less computer based classes and my physical engineering kind of classes.

At my uni they are under the same degree outline but have almost completely different streams.

There are a few overlapping classes such as math, physics and computing units, but in the later years they start to deviate away from each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook