Is it Appropriate to Use Big Vee and Big Wedge for Infinitary Logic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jostpuur
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
19
With finite amount of sets unions and intersections can be written as

[tex] A_1\cup A_2\cup\cdots\cup A_n[/tex]

and

[tex] A_1\cap A_2\cap\cdots \cap A_n.[/tex]

If we have an arbitrary collection of sets, [tex](A_i)_{i\in I}[/tex], then we can still write unions and intersections as

[tex] \bigcup_{i\in I} A_i[/tex]

and

[tex] \bigcap_{i\in I} A_i.[/tex]

If we have a finite amount of logical statements, then logical "or" and "and" of them can be written as

[tex] A_1 \lor A_2\lor\cdots \lor A_n[/tex]

and

[tex] A_1 \land A_2\land\cdots \land A_n.[/tex]

I don't think I've ever seen anything being done with arbitrary collections of logical statements. Have you? Is it okey to write something like this:

[tex] \bigvee_{i\in I} A_i[/tex]

and

[tex] \bigwedge_{i\in I} A_i?[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I is finite, this is legal. If I is infinite however, I don't know of any logic where this is legal, albeit meaning is clear, i.e. at least one proposition in I is true, all propositions in I are true.
 
See "Infinitary Logic" Here:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-infinitary/"
 
Last edited by a moderator: