twofish-quant said:
You *REALLY* don't want to work directly for NASA. Everyone that I know that works directly totally hates it because NASA is a generally dysfunctional organization.
However most of the scientists that are involved in space flight work either through a laboratory that is contracted by NASA (such as JPL) and and you have a lot of people that get grants and funding through NASA, but NASA isn't the organization that signs their paycheck.
This is largely true, but there are many exceptions. The previous few NASA administrations were all about making the civil servants (CS) into grant managers. There has been some push back and a good amount of headway made on getting CS doing research again (at least the small, corner in which I reside) and being involved as more than simple contract/grant managers.
What I have found at NASA is that ever center is
very different. The one I am at now (LaRC) is fairly research oriented, at least the groups I have had exposure to. The main problem with NASA (in my opinion) is it lacks political inertia. No one is behind it politically, but everyone expects greatness out of it. In addition, there is an environment where failure is not an option. Sometimes research goes wrong. If that happens at NASA, it makes every major newspaper's front page.
NASA is more about managing the building of probes. The actual building gets done by contractors.
This only actually pertains to exploration. It has not been the case in the research directorate or the science directorate, in my experience.
This means that NASA itself tends to be a political battleground. One reason NASA is such a mess is that you have different groups of people that think that NASA should do different things, and so you end up with messy compromises in which nothing really gets done.
This can be said about any government entity. What exactly do you expect when your budget has to be approved by congress every year? Nothing like a few hundred politicians with their own personal, pet agendas deciding how much money you get. I am glad I don't manage any programs, because I see what the program managers have to deal with. "Get this project done... (next year) oh sorry we cut your budget in half. Finish the project on time nonetheless."
NASA does get crap loads of things done. Maybe not it's not as agile or frugal as it should be, but there is plenty of science and engineering that comes out of NASA.
EDIT: Sorry I missed DH's comment.
D H said:
Much as NASA would like there to be "One NASA," there isn't. There are many distinct groups within NASA that work in areas that fall under the rubric of "astrophysics". Like any large organization, some of those groups will look a whole lot like a Dilbert cartoon, but others won't. Your "Everyone that I know" might just be a case of sampling bias.
This is spot on!