1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it hard to transfer from engineering to science?

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    I was accepted to an electronic engineering course as a mature but I only put that course on the list for the sake of putting a few courses down. The real course I wanna get into is chemistry but I did a bad interview for that course and I got accepted into electronic engineering instead. The marks I got in the pre university science course I did this year meet the criteria for this chemistry course so it was purely the interview that messed me up.

I'm in Ireland btw. Is it likely that I can do the electronic engineering course for a year then transfer to chemistry or will taking this course work against me? I like electronics aswell so I wouldn't mind doing that course for the year but I'm dead set on getting into a chemistry course. What should I do? Take the electronics course or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2
    If you are interested in chemistry then study chemistry. Especially if this is your first year, nobody should expect you to have your plans carved in stone.

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    I like them both but its chemistry I wanna get into. Like I said though I got accepted into the electronic engineering course but not chemistry. I wanna jump on the opportunity to do electronic engineering for the year but I dont wanna lock myself out of chemistry. I do like the idea of doing electronic engineering they cover lots of physics in it which is my favorite field. I have until the 10th to accept but Im tempted to accept it now.

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4
    Have you talked to NUI Maynooth or Galway?

I am doing a non honours degree in electronics. I was on the phone last Friday to Maynooth about getting onto their physics honours degree ...the lady in the admissions office seemed to think it wouldn't be a issue transferring, I may just have to go into year 2 of a 3 year degree because I wouldn't have the same physics background, so I think you could be okay.

Sean

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5
    No the only college I applied to was DCU because I assumed I'd get in no matter what. Nice one though. Electronics and physics aren't unsimilar fields but at the same time chemistry courses cover lots of the same maths and physics that engineering courses do so thats definitely a plus. I'm gonna click the accept button. After a year of electronic engineering I mightn't even want to transfer to chemistry anymore.

BTW how many years have you done in your electronics course? How do they determine whether your physics background makes you eligible or not? Do they make you take a test or do they judge purely on what was covered in the course you did?

7. Jul 7, 2009 #6
    I am going into my final year of a 3 year degree in Dundalk. I got into year two because I have a HND in Electronics too.

I think they just look at the content of the two courses, but the impression I got was as long as your maths was enough, you'd be ok. I mean, usually the hardcore topics etc would not start until year two. No test has been mentioned to me, and I have not read about any.

Maynooth send me out a transfer entry application form. If you are looking to transfer across, you don't need to go through the CAO process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook