Is it ok to poll an old thread up?

• Thread starter wajed
  • Start date
In summary, if the old thread is no more than a few months old (three, perhaps), so that most of the people in it are likely to be here still, then it might be OK to start it up again. If the old thread is older than that, I would start a new thread, include a link to the old one, and perhaps quote any specific passages that you're interested in following up on.
wajed
By search, I found some useful posts, and I want to comment and ask, is that OK?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wajed! :smile:

Probably best to start a new thread …

people are more likely to reply to a new thread than one with a dozen replies! :wink:

(and of course you can press the quote button on the original thread, if you like, to copy what's already there, and to link back to that thread)

How old are the posts in question?

In general, I would say if the old thread is no more than a few months old (three, perhaps), so that most of the people in it are likely to be here still, then it might be OK to start it up again.

If the old thread is older than that, I would start a new thread, include a link to the old one, and perhaps quote any specific passages that you're interested in following up on.

People occasionally post in threads that were last posted to, four or five years ago, and it looks really strange. :uhh:

I've always wondered why necroposting results in lockage.

DaveC426913 said:
I've always wondered why necroposting results in lockage.
A lot of old threads no longer conform to current guidelines and if that is the case, it could be locked. But there should be an explanation why. Resurrecting an old thread, by itself, is not a reason to lock, but I have seen that in a few cases.

tiny-tim said:
Hi wajed! :smile:

Probably best to start a new thread …

people are more likely to reply to a new thread than one with a dozen replies! :wink:

(and of course you can press the quote button on the original thread, if you like, to copy what's already there, and to link back to that thread)
That's the recommendation I would make, subject to the concerns about the quality and conformance to current guidelines.

1. Is it considered bad etiquette to poll an old thread?

It is generally considered bad etiquette to poll an old thread, as it can disrupt the flow of the conversation and make it difficult for others to follow. It is recommended to start a new thread instead.

2. Can I add new information to an old thread?

Yes, you can add new information to an old thread if it is relevant and contributes to the discussion. However, it is important to make it clear that you are reviving an old thread and explain the reason for doing so.

3. How old is too old to poll a thread?

There is no set time limit for when a thread becomes too old to poll. However, it is generally recommended to avoid polling threads that are several months or even years old, as the conversation may have moved on and the original participants may no longer be active.

4. Is it ok to poll an old thread if I have a new question on the same topic?

If you have a new question on the same topic as an old thread, it is best to start a new thread instead of polling the old one. This allows for a fresh discussion and avoids confusion for other users.

5. Are there any exceptions to polling an old thread?

In some cases, it may be acceptable to poll an old thread, such as if there is new information or updates related to the original topic. However, it is still important to make it clear that you are reviving an old thread and explain the reason for doing so.