Is it possible for both AB and BA to be identity matrices if m does not equal n?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bologna121121
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove in general that if m does not equal n, then AB and BA cannot both be identity matrices, where A is mxn and B is nxm.


Homework Equations


None (that I know of at least).


The Attempt at a Solution


At first I thought it would be a good idea to define each element in A and B and write out some elements from AB and BA, and hope that I noticed a pattern where I would see something possible only if n=m. This proved very cumbersome and I could not get it to go anywhere.

Next I tried assuming that both AB and BA equaled identity matrices of appropriate dimensions, with the intention of deriving a contradiction, but I was unfortunately unavle to do so.

I appreciate any help, as I really don't know what to try next.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what the equations AB = I and BA = I imply, in terms of injectivity and surjectivity of the linear maps represented by A and B.