1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra: Prove that the set is a subspace

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]U[/itex] is the set of all commuting matrices with matrix [itex]A= \begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 0 & 1 \\
    0 & 1 & 1 \\
    3 & 0 & 4 \\
    \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]U[/itex] is the subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}[/itex] (space of matrices [itex]3\times 3[/itex]). Check if it contains [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]. Find the dimension and a basis for [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    -Commuting matrices
    -Subspaces
    -Vector space span
    Basis and dimension

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]U[/itex] can be defined as [itex]U=\{B\in\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}: AB=BA\}[/itex].

Letting [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
    a & b & c \\
    d & e & f \\
    g & h & i \\
    \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] gives [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
    i-\frac{2}{3}g & 0 & \frac{1}{3}g \\
    g-3f & i-3g & f \\
    g & 0 & i \\
    \end{bmatrix}[/itex].

[itex]U[/itex] is a subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times3}}[/itex] if [itex]\forall u_1,u_2\in U\Rightarrow u_1+u_2\in U,\forall t\in\mathbb{R}\Rightarrow tu_1\in U[/itex] which is correct.

It is easy to check that if [itex]C\in span\{I,A,A^2,...\}\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]:
    Linear combination for C is
    [itex]C=c_0I+c_1A+c_2A^2+...\Rightarrow CA=AC\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]

[itex]U[/itex] has the dimension [itex]3[/itex] and a basis are column vectors of identity matrix [itex]3\times 3[/itex].

How to find the dimension and a basis for [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    What does it mean to be a basis?

I don't agree with your explanation of the dimension and basis of U. Column vectors (in this case) are ##3x1## matrices. You're claiming that you can generate a whole space of 3x3 matrices with linear combinations of 3x1 matrices. The basis that you are claiming is not even a subset of U.

Also, how are you getting B?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    I made a mistake in the statement for the dimension and a basis of [itex]U[/itex]. You could look at [itex]9\times 1[/itex] vectors.
    But what is the way of algebraically finding a basis (dimension follows) of [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

Matrix [itex]B[/itex] can be reduced from [itex]9[/itex] to [itex]3[/itex] variables after solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] (too long to post).

5. Feb 9, 2016 #4
    Your basis has to be a set of 3x3 matrices.

That is fair, I'm just wondering the method you used.

You've (assuming your calculations are correct) found what matrices in the subspace U "look like". Can you write that matrix as a linear combination of other matrices? (I haven't verified, but it seems like the ##span\{I,A,A^2, \dots\}## would not have been given to you just to show that it was contained in U.

6. Feb 9, 2016 #5
    I think that it is not possible to form a linear combination on [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex] because this set is not finite - defined (you could arbitrarily choose that [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,A^3\}[/itex] - this would be finite set).

7. Feb 9, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What can you say about the dimension of [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

8. Feb 9, 2016 #7
    I don't follow what you are trying to say here.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something.

9. Feb 9, 2016 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

(a) The space spanned by an infinite set can nevertheless be finite-dimensional; as a trivial example, consider [itex]\mathrm{span}\{ (x,0) : 0 < x \leq 1\}[/itex] which is just the one-dimensional subspace of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] spanned by (1,0).

(b) In this case, apply the Cayley-Hamilton theorem.

10. Feb 10, 2016 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A linear combination on an infinite set is defined to be a linear combination on a finite subset so your objection in post 5 is not relevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted