1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible or i am kidding my self?

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    Hello. I am in first year college studying electronics engineering and computer science and i am 20 years old.

I recently did the national mathematics exam to go to college and had 160 out of 200. Ironic, huh?

I failed math at 10 grade and stoped doing any math for 3 years. By the time of the exam i didnt know how to solve a first degree equation or add negative numbers. So i studied all the material tested in the exam, 4years worth on my own in 5 months from pre algebra - geometry - trigonometry to derivatives and complex numbers. I didnt study much deeply successions and statistics, didnt need.

I know i covered a lot of ground, mainly because i felt in love for math, proofs and rigor. I even read some stuff on langs basic mathematics book.

Now in college, taking integral calculus i have no problems in math, i love math. I put a lot of effort, prefering to understand, not just nemorize.

But am i kidding my self? Studying this fast will hurt me in the future? I want to know your sincere opinions.

Because sometimes i feel the strange notion that i should have done more exercises, read nore books,, again, have no problems though. Do you have the same feeling?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2
    I think you'll be fine if you keep working hard and feel your way along.

If you want to confirm a thorough knowledge of high school math, sign up for ALEKS pre-calculus. Students who are strong in all the areas blow through it in a couple of weeks or less. Students who need some brushing up take a couple of months. The system is thorough.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it might, but as long as you realize this, you should have no problems. You should realize that there definitely are certain things you're less good at and that you don't know in math. As long as you are prepared to identify and fill in the gaps, you should have no problem.

I hope this was a one time thing though. Studying this fast later on will harm you even more, since it will not be possible to study this way. Also, studying this fast means you'll remember concepts less well.

If you can find the time, work through Lang's basic mathematics book on a profoud and slow level. This might identify and fill in many gaps.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4
    But the thing is, i solve the problems well, i learn new concepts fast cause i have developed the previous concepts. I have no issues recalling and my algebra skills hasnt stop me yet in learning calculus. While studying i became passionate about math, try to prove some theorems, formulas. So overall i became good at learning math.

But i just want to solve every exercise out there, i feel the urge to solve every exercise i see. Its not i dont understand, i just miss the material, cause i studied so fast. Is this normal?

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand. You seem to get everything well and you can solve any exercise. So what is the problem?

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6
    I want to do more exercises and i feel the notion i dont understand, despite i do. I know, i sound contradictory.

8. Nov 9, 2015 #7
    Perhaps. But I've known a lot of students who were confident in their algebra skills because of calculus, but consistently demonstrated weak and underdeveloped algebra skills on their physics problems. Too many calculus courses are designed for success by students that are poor at algebra.

I wouldn't worry about normal, I would just move forward. Solving problems is important in the process of understanding. If you are moving, you are learning. You will learn more when your pencil is moving.

9. Nov 9, 2015 #8
    I will just move forward and ocasionally do some past exercises. I will focus now and when i encounter something i dont do quite well i
    study. Like learn on the way strayegy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook