What are your thoughts on self-studying Goldstein?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's experience with self-studying the first chapter of Goldstein's book and seeking advice on its suitability for self-study. The conversation also touches upon the importance of having a strong foundation in math and physics before attempting advanced material.
rajsekharnath
I am self studying Goldstein first chapter "A survey on the elementary principles", so far I have been enjoying it, sometimes he skips some lines while deriving a principle or so, therefore sometimes I get to PSE or Physics Forums to know the things I lack understanding in.
What are your thoughts on self-studying Goldstein? Is this book good for self-study?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got plenty of advice last time; You seem to have disregarded it. Fair enough, but this is, as we called it in school "a self-limiting problem".

For me, I'd make the same comment as last time. Please don't make me type it in again.

Vanadium 50 said:
You got plenty of advice last time; You seem to have disregarded it. Fair enough, but this is, as we called it in school "a self-limiting problem".

For me, I'd make the same comment as last time. Please don't make me type it in again.
I would not make you type again the "plenty of advice", and not "disregard"ing that "plenty of advice", I would say:

a)Reviewing what I learned in high school, it was just newtonian mechanics, shm and waves, electrostatics, electrodynamics, ray and wave optics, some modern physics including photoelectric effects, atoms and nuclei, semiconductors(for reference all at Resnick Halliday Walker level) and solving Irodov's Problems in General physics(the classical mechanics part), I scored 98 out of 100 in my final physics exam(although that does not matter and is silly to mention that here), so it just did not looked relevant to me to review the same high school stuff over and over again.
b)Getting ready to live on my own etc etc is not a problem but it does not seem relevant to get ready for that by practicing those things the whole day. However I also do not see the problem in studying some the stuff in advance of what I will be learning in college.

OK, can you prove the following? sin(54) - sin(18) = 1/2. After all, it's not even physics, not even calculus. Just trig.

According to your previous posts, you're preparing for undergraduate physics. In the US, Goldstein is generally considered a graduate-school level textbook. Students normally study it only after introductory calculus-based physics (Halliday & Resnick level) and an upper-division undergraduate mechanics course (e.g. Marion & Thornton, or Symon).

Someone gave him the same advice when he was asking about Griffiths.
Oh wait...it was you. :smile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
At least Griffiths is an undergraduate textbook, albeit not introductory undergraduate.

I used Goldstein in 8.06.

Vanadium 50 said:
OK, can you prove the following? sin(54) - sin(18) = 1/2. After all, it's not even physics, not even calculus. Just trig.
I can do this, but I do not really know how to write math with latex yet, so I can describe by words
Sin(54)-Sin(18)=2Cos(36)Sin(18)
=2Cos(36)Sin(36)/2Cos(18)
=Sin(72)/2Sin(72)
=1/2

But I do not understand what does that prove.

jtbell said:
According to your previous posts, you're preparing for undergraduate physics. In the US, Goldstein is generally considered a graduate-school level textbook. Students normally study it only after introductory calculus-based physics (Halliday & Resnick level) and an upper-division undergraduate mechanics course (e.g. Marion & Thornton, or Symon).
Ok, I get it. But does that mean someone at my level should not touch Goldstein? If so then I will be acting more carefully from next time and save everyone's time(including mine) from the next time.

The point is that many people struggle with trig and even algebra, and if you struggled too, it would be smart to clear that up before jumping 4 or 5 years forward. I'm glad you solved it, although the solution appears a bit Googly. Only you know how hard this was for you, but if you had difficulty, you will be much better served by getting your foundation set first.

1. What is Goldstein and why is it important to self-study it?

Goldstein is a textbook on classical mechanics, which is a fundamental topic in physics. It covers important concepts and principles that are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems. Self-studying Goldstein allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on areas that they find challenging.

2. Is self-studying Goldstein a viable option for someone without a background in physics?

While having a background in physics can certainly be helpful, self-studying Goldstein is still a viable option for individuals without prior knowledge in the subject. The textbook is designed to introduce concepts gradually and build upon them, making it accessible to beginners.

3. How does self-studying Goldstein compare to taking a formal course on classical mechanics?

Self-studying Goldstein allows individuals to have more control over their learning experience. They can go at their own pace and focus on areas that they find challenging. However, taking a formal course may provide more structure and guidance from a teacher or professor.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in self-studying Goldstein?

Yes, there are various resources and tools available to aid in self-studying Goldstein. These include online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. Additionally, collaborating with others who are also self-studying Goldstein can also be beneficial.

5. How can self-studying Goldstein benefit someone's scientific career?

Self-studying Goldstein can benefit someone's scientific career by providing them with a strong foundation in classical mechanics, which is a fundamental topic in physics. This knowledge can be applied to various fields of science, making individuals more versatile and valuable in their research or work.