1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is it possible to calculate the magnetic force between magnets?

1. Oct 6, 2016 #1
    Hello
    I am a a grade 11 learner and I am trying by all means to calculate force between magnets.
    I know that the strength of a magnetic field is determined by the size of the magnet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In general this is a very complicated problem and needs numerical simulations. Sometimes it is possible to get good analytic approximations, but it depends on the setup.

4. Oct 7, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

For some situations the equations have been done for you. Example...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Force_between_two_bar_magnets

However I remember reading a comment once on a magnet manufacturers web site. Basically it said that their own experiments suggested such equations rarely matched reality very well. They advised that you may need to do your own experiment if the exact force is important.

5. Oct 10, 2016 #4
    Magnet manufacturers??
    Well one thing for sure is that force is impacted by size,distance at which magnets are placed from one another and velocity...
    If a formula can be constructed by those 3 factors there might be progress

6. Oct 10, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

The force does not depend on the velocity, unless we are talking about relativistic speeds.
    It does depend on the relative orientation between the magnets, and of course on the magnets itself and their distance.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was referring to comments like this...

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

8. Oct 12, 2016 #7
    Does this mean I interpreted Lorenz force law in another way??
    <Mod note: deleted email addresses>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  9. Oct 12, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

The Lorentz force allows to find the force between a magnet and a moving charge. Your magnets are not moving charges. If you have an electromagnet, then in principle you can apply the Lorentz force to the electrons moving in the conductor - but then you need the speed of the electrons in the object, not the speed of the object itself. A permanent magnet does not have moving charges in the classical sense, so even the approach with internal velocities does not work there.

10. Oct 12, 2016 #9

Hesch

Gold Member

A magnetic field ( between two magnets ) has an energy density,

Edens= ½ * B * H [ J/m3 ].

If the magnets are close to each other, the magnetic field in the airgap will be almost homogenous. So the force on the magnets will be:

F = dE/ds , where s is the width of the airgap, and E = Edens * (volume of airgap).

In the above line 2, remember that H = B/μ0 ( in air ).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted