1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to calculate this question with force

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    • Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
    A block with initial speed 3 meter per second compress the spring in a frictional surface. Given that the spring constant k = 11000 N/M, mass of the block= 2.5 kg, coefficient of kinetic friction= 0.4. Calculate distance d that block travel until it momentarily stopped.

This is my method

initial KE = final PE + Work done by friction

However, is it possible to use force to calculate distance d since the acceleration of block depend on the extent of how much the block compress the spring.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it is. Fill in the proper energy expressions (you do not yet have the right ones in your equation)

[edit] 'perhaps' :rolleyes: you will need two equations for two distinct phases in this exercise

Oh, and: dear lover, :welcome:

4. May 5, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but it won't be nearly as simple as just using energy concepts. Essentially you'll have to integrate an equation of motion where the acceleration is changing with position.

5. May 5, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah... I missed the actual question. So my reply may look somewhat weird :smile:
    Thanks, Gneill, for answering that part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted