Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to evenly spaced out objects?

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    I can't figure this out. I mean like all the objects(lets take them as a point mass) must be equally spaced from each. The surrounding nearest point masses from each point mass must be equally separated from that point mass. Square grid doesn't work as 4 out of the 8 closest neighbours are separated from the center diagonally, which is longer than the other 4 that are separated horizontally and vertically. I was thinking grid whereby the squares are replaced by circles by I can't seems to figure out. Is there such a thing?

upload_2016-2-13_14-38-38.png
    Something like this except the circles are connected and not separated as shown above.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Triangles

4. Feb 13, 2016 #3
    Given this and your previous thread you might like to do some background study on packing problems.

5. Feb 13, 2016 #4
    Thanks! I will look into that.

6. Feb 13, 2016 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Think of which triangles tessellate the most evenly.

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Bees use hexagons...
    upload_2016-2-14_8-11-38.jpeg

8. Feb 14, 2016 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

...with their centers laid out in a pattern of equilateral triangles.

9. Feb 16, 2016 #8
    You seem to have some unusual definition of closest neighbors. With the usual definition, in the square lattice each point has 4 closest neighbors (or nearest neighbors). The points on the diagonal are next-nearest neighbors.
    No matter what the geometry, you will always have next-nearest and next-next-nearest neighbors and so on, which will be at distances larger that the nearest-neighbor distance. Even in triangular or hexagonal lattice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook