Is it possible to get electrocuted by touching this electric line?

In summary, this power line probably isn't going to cause any electrocution, but it's still a bad idea to touch it.
Simfish
Gold Member
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gxYAfFM1cj0/TAMacp0MNYI/AAAAAAAAAWc/mxXpDc4_OBA/s640/05292010005.jpg

Is there a small chance of electrocution if these lines have insufficient insulation?

I know that the chances of electrocution are much higher if you happen to touch the ground and a power line up above at the same time. But that doesn't really automatically happen. With this power line, it's easy to accidentally touch it, so I'm scared.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gxYAfFM1cj0/TAMacp0MNYI/AAAAAAAAAWc/mxXpDc4_OBA/s640/05292010005.jpg

Is there a small chance of electrocution if these lines have insufficient insulation?

I know that the chances of electrocution are much higher if you happen to touch the ground and a power line up above at the same time. But that doesn't really automatically happen. With this power line, it's easy to accidentally touch it, so I'm scared.

LOL! That's not a power line... do you really think they would just let a high voltage wire hang around like that? It's a cable to anchor the pole in place... it doesn't carry any electricity...

That's a support wire. There's not current in that.

Is this a joke?

Mu naught said:
LOL! That's not a power line... do you really think they would just let a high voltage wire hang around like that? It's a cable to anchor the pole in place... it doesn't carry any electricity...

Not only that, but I typically see them split with ceramic blocks (they call it a strain insulator in the diagram), so no electricity should be able to be conducted past the ceramic even if the guy line were somehow to come into contact with a live wire.

gonentrans-fig9.17.jpg

Mu naught said:
LOL! That's not a power line... do you really think they would just let a high voltage wire hang around like that?

When I was 5, my mother assumed it was and I was not allowed to touch them. Later I figured out that it's no more dangerous then the pole or the ground itself, before even grasping the true purpose. (Mom called it a "ground line".)

Mothers seem to know everything. Although extremely unlikely, especially on local streets, guy wires nevertheless could, under certain circumstances, carry small currents (if grounding is poor, for example, and their is an induced voltage in the guy from the powerline, you can become the path to ground if you touch the guy wire). Such currents are typically small, but children are less tolerant to small currents than adults. As a matter of safe practice, stay away from powerlines and their supporting structures. With electricity, you never know...don't fool with it.

PhanthomJay said:
Mothers seem to know everything. Although extremely unlikely, especially on local streets, guy wires nevertheless could, under certain circumstances, carry small currents (if grounding is poor, for example, and their is an induced voltage in the guy from the powerline, you can become the path to ground if you touch the guy wire). Such currents are typically small, but children are less tolerant to small currents than adults. As a matter of safe practice, stay away from powerlines and their supporting structures. With electricity, you never know...don't fool with it.

My uncle had that problem with the grounding on his trailer that he parked by his house. Sometimes you used to be able to feel current flowing through your body if you touched it.

PhanthomJay said:

So that is a particularly poor place to make kids wait for a school bus.

1. Can I get electrocuted by touching an electric line?

Yes, it is possible to get electrocuted by touching an electric line. Electric lines carry high voltage electricity and direct contact with them can be dangerous and even fatal.

2. How can I get electrocuted by touching an electric line?

Electricity always seeks the easiest path to the ground, and our bodies can provide that path. If you touch an electric line, the electricity will flow through your body to the ground, resulting in an electric shock.

3. Is there a safe way to touch an electric line?

No, there is no safe way to touch an electric line. Even if you are wearing protective gear, the high voltage can still pose a danger. It is best to always stay away from electric lines and follow safety precautions.

4. How much voltage does an electric line carry?

Electric lines typically carry high voltage electricity, ranging from 4,800 to 765,000 volts. The exact voltage may vary depending on the type and location of the electric line.

5. What should I do if I accidentally touch an electric line?

If you accidentally touch an electric line, do not panic. Stay calm and try to move away from the line without touching it. If you are unable to move, do not touch anything else and wait for help. It is also important to seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not feel any immediate symptoms.