Is it possible to integrate acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Lagrangian equations and integration to find velocity. It is possible to integrate with dt and separate using the chain rule. The equation of motion is used to describe a physical system, where alpha may vary with time.
Madtasmo
Alright so I was just messing around with Lagrangian equation, I just learned about it, and I had gotten to this equation of motion:
Mg*sin{α} - 1.5m*x(double dot)=0

I am trying to get velocity, and my first thought was to integrate with dt, but I didn't know how to. And I'm not even sure it's possible, anyways, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
##\int \sin(x) dx = -\cos(x)##

That is the general form for integrating ##\sin(x)##.

##\int d^2x = x dx##

Turns out it's possible to do so;
X(dot)=2/3*gt*sin(α)

Madtasmo said:
I had gotten to this equation of motion:
Mg*sin{α} - 1.5m*x(double dot)=0
Surely you’ve seen ##\ddot x = ## constant.
To find ##\dot x## you use ##\ddot x =\frac{d}{dt}\dot x## and separate.

Another common trick worth knowing is from the chain rule:
$$ \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} =\frac{d\dot x}{dt} =\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d\dot x}{dx} =\dot x \frac{d\dot x}{dx} $$
For example, if you have Newton’s law in the form ##m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=F(x)## then the chain rule makes it separable, from which we get the (1-D) work energy theorem (for point masses).

Likes Madtasmo
Isn't your alpha a function of time too? If alpha were constant, integrating would be trivial. But is'it? What is the physical system described by the equation?

1. Can acceleration be integrated to determine velocity?

Yes, acceleration can be integrated to determine velocity. This is known as the first fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is the inverse operation of differentiation. By integrating the acceleration function over a specific time interval, the resulting value will be the change in velocity over that time interval.

2. Is it possible to integrate acceleration to determine position?

Yes, it is possible to integrate acceleration to determine position. This is known as the second fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is the inverse operation of differentiation. By integrating the acceleration function twice over a specific time interval, the resulting value will be the change in position over that time interval.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and position?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of position. Therefore, acceleration is the second derivative of position with respect to time. This means that to determine position from acceleration, the acceleration function must be integrated twice.

4. Can integration of acceleration be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integration of acceleration is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in a car, the acceleration function can be integrated to determine the distance traveled over a specific time interval, which can be useful for calculating fuel efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating acceleration?

One limitation to integrating acceleration is that it assumes a constant acceleration over a specific time interval. In real-world scenarios, acceleration may vary, making it more difficult to accurately determine velocity and position through integration. Additionally, integration can also introduce errors and uncertainties, so it is important to carefully consider the accuracy and precision of the data used in the integration process.