1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is it possible to mix electrical engineering with music somehow

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    I am a physics and electrical engineering major and wish to know if there are any specific music career opportunities that utilize the concepts I've learned from both. I really have a passion for music production and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2
    Perhaps the development and design of digital musical instruments, though I imagine those are few to be had.

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/

it's not a specific career opportunity, but it might give you some insight to the overlap you are looking for . . .

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    audio engineering I think is a sub discipline of electrical, so specializing in acoustics

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the responses. I could see somewhat of the usefulness in the development and design of digital musical instruments and perhaps even in designing recording studios. I actually have a friend in Dartmouth's music program and I've heard some good things about it and looking at this graduate program looks really promising. I'll give them a call to inquire more about it. As for audio/sound engineering being a sub-discipline of electrical engineering, can anyone else confirm this?

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6
  8. Dec 28, 2011 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My alma mater just built a kick-a$$ new facility:

http://empac.rpi.edu/about/

I know EEs and CSE's who are working there are drooling over the toys, like, constantly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook