Is it possible to mix electrical engineering with music somehow

In summary, the conversation discusses potential music career opportunities that combine the concepts of physics and electrical engineering. The suggestions include development and design of digital musical instruments, audio engineering, and computer music synthesis. The conversation also mentions a graduate program at Dartmouth for music production and a new facility at RPI that has attracted EEs and CSEs.
Djhar
I am a physics and electrical engineering major and wish to know if there are any specific music career opportunities that utilize the concepts I've learned from both. I really have a passion for music production and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the development and design of digital musical instruments, though I imagine those are few to be had.

http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/

it's not a specific career opportunity, but it might give you some insight to the overlap you are looking for . . .

audio engineering I think is a sub discipline of electrical, so specializing in acoustics

Thanks for the responses. I could see somewhat of the usefulness in the development and design of digital musical instruments and perhaps even in designing recording studios. I actually have a friend in Dartmouth's music program and I've heard some good things about it and looking at this graduate program looks really promising. I'll give them a call to inquire more about it. As for audio/sound engineering being a sub-discipline of electrical engineering, can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.ece.illinois.edu/students/grad/overview/bioeng.html

Scroll down and you will see:

Environmental and Physical Acoustics

Computer Music Synthesis

Audio Engineering

My alma mater just built a kick-a$$ new facility:

http://empac.rpi.edu/about/

I know EEs and CSE's who are working there are drooling over the toys, like, constantly.

Related to Is it possible to mix electrical engineering with music somehow

1. Can music and electrical engineering be combined?

Yes, it is possible to mix electrical engineering with music. In fact, many modern musical instruments and equipment rely on electrical engineering principles and technology to function.

2. How can electrical engineering be applied to music?

Electrical engineering can be applied to music in various ways, such as designing and building musical instruments, creating sound systems and recording equipment, and developing software and apps for music production and performance.

3. Is there a specific field that combines music and electrical engineering?

Yes, there is a specific field called "music technology" that combines music and electrical engineering. This field focuses on the use of technology in music creation, production, and performance.

4. What skills are needed to mix electrical engineering with music?

To combine electrical engineering with music, one would need a strong understanding of both fields. This includes knowledge of music theory, sound engineering, circuit design, and programming. Creativity, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail are also important.

5. What are some examples of projects that mix electrical engineering and music?

Some examples of projects that combine electrical engineering and music are designing and building synthesizers, creating digital audio workstations, developing music production software, and designing sound systems for concerts and events. Other examples include creating musical toys and games, developing electronic musical instruments, and designing sound effects for movies and video games.