Is it possible to polarize a complex 3d shape?

In summary, the conversation is about the idea of using LED eyes with a half spherical shape to display content to the user only when they are looking directly at it. The challenge is to polarize the half sphere, and the suggestion is to use small tubes with LEDs at the bottom instead. There is confusion about the size and placement of the half sphere and the purpose of polarizing the light.
kolleamm
I have this idea for LED eyes. Basically its an LED screen behind a half spherical shape. I want the user only to see what's on the display if they are looking directly at it. So for that I would need to polarize the half sphere. The half sphere can be made out of anything, the problem is how do I polarize it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot get my head around what you are describing.

You have a flat LED screen. Small? 4x3 inches?
You place a hemisphere between the screen and the viewer. Pointing which way? How big?What does it accomplish?
You want to polarize the light? Why?

Would the same thing not be accomplished if the LEDs were instead at the bottom of small tubes? Then you could only see lights for which you are looking directly down the tubes.
1596308491503.png

Or am I misunderstanding the intent?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. Can any 3D shape be polarized?

Yes, it is possible to polarize any 3D shape as long as it is made of a material that can be electrically polarized, such as certain crystals or polymers.

2. How does polarization of a 3D shape occur?

Polarization of a 3D shape occurs when an external electric field is applied to the material, causing the alignment of the electric dipole moments within the material to shift in a specific direction.

3. Is it possible to polarize a complex 3D shape with multiple materials?

Yes, it is possible to polarize a complex 3D shape with multiple materials, as long as each material is capable of being polarized and the overall shape allows for the alignment of the electric dipole moments.

4. Can a polarized 3D shape be depolarized?

Yes, a polarized 3D shape can be depolarized by removing the external electric field that caused the polarization or by heating the material above its Curie temperature, which disrupts the alignment of the electric dipole moments.

5. What are the applications of polarizing a 3D shape?

Polarizing a 3D shape has various applications, including in electronic devices such as LCD screens, in optical devices like polarizers and filters, and in material science research to study the properties of polarized materials.