Is it possible to stop a bullet by just using a magnet?

In summary, stopping a bullet using a magnetic field would be a difficult task, but it is theoretically possible. The best approach would be to set up the experiment in orbit to eliminate the effects of gravity and air resistance. Using powerful electromagnets along the trajectory of the bullet and a brass jacket could enhance the effectiveness of the magnetic field. Lenz Law would explain why this method could work, but technology is currently not advanced enough to accomplish this feat. Mythbusters attempted to deflect a bullet with a magnet, but were unsuccessful. Overall, the feasibility of stopping a bullet with a magnetic field is still uncertain.
thejosh said:
Unfortunately Zachary I strongly disagree as I believe that is not a correct analysis as magnets can do work its just gravity that does no work when an object is at a certain distance to the larger body but since a magnetic field is able to pull a body towards it as work is defined as force * distance in the direction of the force a magnet is by definition is able to do work just check out this site https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=17176 .And on top of that kinetic potential energy is defined as 1/2 mv^2 because this formula includes velocity which is a vector quantity anything that changes the direction of an object and/or the motion therefore changes its kinetic energy. . But my point was that the force needed to stop abullet using a magnet is not achievable right now. :oldbiggrin:

I did the experiment with the magnet moving the aluminum can and all looked good until I replaced the magnet with an unmagnetized bolt and the can still moved due to air displacement, so I think that experiment is bogus unless performed in a vacuum.

Physics news on Phys.org
gmalcolm77 said:
I did the experiment with the magnet moving the aluminum can and all looked good until I replaced the magnet with an unmagnetized bolt and the can still moved due to air displacement, so I think that experiment is bogus unless performed in a vacuum.
The experiment and results are based on good science. Your conclusion that it is bogus is based on ...?

Dr Wu said:
The magnetosphere of a neutron star would do a pretty good job at stopping a bullet.
NOW we're talking!

Omar Ibrahim said:
what about lenz law ?
http://www.dingsmagnets.com/industries/aluminum-can-recycling/
eddy-current-separator-operation.gif

When a piece of nonferrous metal, such as aluminum, passes over the separator, the magnets inside the rotor rotate past the aluminum at high speed. This forms eddy currents in the aluminum which in turn create a magnetic field around the piece of aluminum. The polarity of that magnetic field is the same as the rotating magnet, causing the aluminum to be repelled away from the magnet. This repulsion makes the trajectory of the aluminum greater than that of the nonmetallics, allowing the two material streams to be separated.

Assuming you are 6 ft tall and around 24 inches wide and you have a magnet in front of you that is 6ft. 6" tall and 30 inches wide and about 4 inches thick the magnet should stop the bullet!

In reality a magnet would not work against a plastic or rubber bullet!

Eddy current separator in action:
(1:41 minutes)
(There is also a magnet to separate the ferrous cans at the top of the gadget.)
Another manufacturer states: "It is much more difficult to separate stainless steel, lead ..." presumably due to their lower conductivity and higher density.

who mentioned air moving the item, post #36? ez fix, put can on a very sensitive scale, ug resolution, put it all in a heavy sealed glass box, vacuum it with a automotive AC vacuum. run experiment, see if scale changes when doing test.

A sheet of paper between magnet and the can can eliminate air currents nearly completely as well.

The experiment and results are based on good science. Your conclusion that it is bogus is based on ...?

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...a-bullet-by-just-using-a-magnet.920690/page-2

Just that there is so little resistance to movement of the can, that the displacement of air by the magnet swinging could be causing a slight movement in this experiment. I do not doubt the principle being demonstrated.

who mentioned air moving the item, post #36? ez fix, put can on a very sensitive scale, ug resolution, put it all in a heavy sealed glass box, vacuum it with a automotive AC vacuum. run experiment, see if scale changes when doing test.

A sheet of paper between magnet and the can can eliminate air currents nearly completely as well.

Both excellent suggestions. I'll try the paper or cardboard and repost.