Is it possible to take off like the birds?

• Thread starter meloettakawaii
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of humans taking off from the ground like birds, using a motor or actuator that is light enough to be strapped on like a backpack. The conversation also explores the idea of copying bird's muscles and wings to achieve human-powered flight. Some resources and links are shared for further reading on the topic.
meloettakawaii
Q: Is it possible for humans to takeoff from the ground similar to how birds, first run or jump and then flap their wings?

(but not powered by human muscle, since numerous experiments have proven that humans can't really power a machine capable of flapping like the birds)

I've read in aerodynamic books that the easiest way to understand how birds takeoff is simply Newton's law:
~ the force generated by the birds flapping their wings down is greater than the gravity on the bird so they literally push themselves off the ground by pushing air down.
~ this of course requires and immense burst of energy

Q2: Do we have a powerful enough motor / actuator / that's light enough (similar to bird's chest muscle) to strap on like a backpack that would allow us to push ourselves off the ground like the birds?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The largest known living birds that fly is the albatross, which is nowhere near as massive as a human (< 15 kg vs ~75 kg).

There are fossilized skeletons that look like birds which may have been nearly as massive as humans, but certainly none that we have ever observed to "run or jump and then flap their wings". Such birds, if they could fly at all, may have had extreme difficulties taking off and landing.

thanks, but we are humans, we invent things that don't exist.
i guess what i really want to know is what exactly are the math calculations behind such a motor/actuator to enable this kind of flight... like just how much torque, and how little weight it has to be to achieve this... and how big the wing span...auaaaah to much questions! my mind is blown!

meloettakawaii said:
Q: Is it possible for humans to takeoff from the ground similar to how birds, first run or jump and then flap their wings?

(but not powered by human muscle, since numerous experiments have proven that humans can't really power a machine capable of flapping like the birds)

I've read in aerodynamic books that the easiest way to understand how birds takeoff is simply Newton's law:
~ the force generated by the birds flapping their wings down is greater than the gravity on the bird so they literally push themselves off the ground by pushing air down.
~ this of course requires and immense burst of energy

Q2: Do we have a powerful enough motor / actuator / that's light enough (similar to bird's chest muscle) to strap on like a backpack that would allow us to push ourselves off the ground like the birds?

thanks!

Here is some reading about Human-Powered Flight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_powered_flight

It takes large wings and a long takeoff strip in order to get the Human-Powered Aircraft into the air...

And for your 2nd question, here is a recent thread about personal flight options: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/practical-personal-flight.792592/

meloettakawaii said:

Not really taking off on its own, but holding height for a while under human power:

meloettakawaii said:

We do have jet packs that fly for a short time.

thank for the links berkeman. my first question wasn't about human-powered flight, note the parenthesis. i'll check the 2nd link for some inspiration

thanks AT. yeah I've seen this before, but its not realistic.., there's no reason to make flight 'human powered', we have plenty of power sources from gas to electricity. Ironman's suit might be a little far fetched, but a set of compact wings + really powerful / light motor/actuators might do the job..

meloettakawaii said:
but a set of compact wings + really powerful / light motor/actuators might do the job..

Something like this?

yes and no xD... i guess i wasn't clear.. sorry everyone.
idk, people seem to automatically think of wings not moving...
bird wings, they move, there's 2 of them flapping
jet packs lasts for a short time b4 the power is gone, birds can fly for days
i was thinking more of like copying the bird exactly as it is except that the power source is replacing the bird muscle with something more fitting for a 'human bird'

so we would take off like birds, probably a few steps running with a jump, then a sequence of flapping, and then our arms would control the all 6 axis of the wing, with the help of some sort of exoskeleton of course, and the power to flap/control these 2 wings would be ... idk some super strong super light motor/actuator.

meloettakawaii said:
yes and no xD... i guess i wasn't clear.. sorry everyone.
idk, people seem to automatically think of wings not moving...
bird wings, they move, there's 2 of them flapping ...
I think your original post was totally clear on that ... I think folks are just spoofing you because of a knowledge-based disbelief that what you are asking for is likely to be possible :smile:

EDIT: although, given modern materials it might very well BE possible, although I'd think that if it were, someone would have done it just to show that it can be done and to be the first to do it.

oh if that's the case then you better go build one, because I'm building it... xD

meloettakawaii said:
oh if that's the case then you better go build one, because I'm building it... xD
Uh ... why would I want to build one?

idk, just imagine a future where we could expand our freedom of travel with a pair of wings. we could go travel whenever wherever. there's no being stuck in a traffic jam in highway. you could live 100 miles away from your work place, maybe up in the mountains because you are sick of the over populated and over polluted cities, but can still get to work in under an hour... no traffic. you can go visit your friends and families in other continents w/o buying a plane ticket or saving up for a vacation, you just exit the door and fly there. you can go explore and experience the rest of the world in person rather than through the computer screen...idk its just freedom.

meloettakawaii said:
birds can fly for days
So can airplanes. Birds use flapping for propulsion because rotating parts are hard to develop biologically. It doesn't make sense to insist on the same mode of operation for machines that don't have those restrictions.

You're dreaming. When I said it might be possible with modern materials, I was thinking of something like an ultra light-weight composite wing structure with something like a 100-ft wingspan (and I don't know that that would be enough).

A.T. said:
So can airplanes. Birds use flapping for propulsion because rotating parts are hard to develop biologically. It doesn't make sense to insist on the same mode of operation for machines that don't have those restrictions.

the level of control you get from being able to maneuver each of the 2 wings is beyond anything even military fighter jets can do, that level of maneuverability is what keeps the bird safe and no need for a parachute. (not saying not to use a parachute, but birds have adapted with the lack of one)

phinds said:
You're dreaming. When I said it might be possible with modern materials, I was thinking of something like an ultra light-weight composite wing structure with something like a 100-ft wingspan (and I don't know that that would be enough).

exosuits, advance that area and you'll have a robot wing on your back.

meloettakawaii said:
the level of control you get from being able to maneuver each of the 2 wings is beyond anything even military fighter jets can do
There are no birds of the mass of a military fighter jet, or even a human. Model helicopters are more agile than birds of same mass:

Last edited:
that's more like a hummingbird

meloettakawaii said:
thanks, but we are humans, we invent things that don't exist.
Sure, but then I wouldn't call it "like the birds". There aren't any birds massive enough to be comparable.

DaleSpam said:
Sure, but then I wouldn't call it "like the birds". There aren't any birds massive enough to be comparable.

why are we discussing over syntax, birds flap, can humans take off by flapping?
also flapping means giving the pilot control over each wing surfaces and therefore the fine control over flight characteristics

meloettakawaii said:
why are we discussing over syntax, birds flap, can humans take off by flapping?
also flapping means giving the pilot control over each wing surfaces and therefore the fine control over flight characteristics

I'm sure it's possible if someone dedicated the time and resources to develop it. It's just not practical.

A.T. said:

meloettakawaii said:
that's more like a hummingbird

It moves like one, while being magnitudes heavier. There is no bird of similar weight and agility.

1. Is it physically possible for humans to fly like birds?

While humans do not have the natural ability to fly like birds do, it is possible for humans to achieve flight with the use of technology such as airplanes, helicopters, and gliders.

2. Do birds have unique physical adaptations that allow them to fly?

Yes, birds have several unique physical adaptations that allow them to fly, including lightweight bones, feathers, and strong chest muscles.

3. Can humans ever evolve the ability to fly like birds?

It is highly unlikely that humans will evolve the ability to fly like birds. Evolution is a slow process and the development of flight in birds took millions of years of adaptation.

4. What is the science behind bird flight?

Bird flight is based on the principles of aerodynamics, which involve the interaction between the shape of an object, the air it moves through, and the forces acting on it. Birds also use a combination of flapping and gliding to achieve flight.

5. Are there any animals that can fly like birds?

While there are other animals that can fly, such as bats and insects, they do not fly in the same way as birds. Birds have unique adaptations and flight patterns that set them apart from other flying animals.