Simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement

In summary, the person is looking to purchase a device that can continuously move forward and backward, similar to the flapping of wings on a bird. They mention that linear actuators seem to be the right choice, but are looking for a way to achieve this motion without having to constantly press buttons. One suggestion is to use a slider-crank mechanism, but the person does not have the resources to make one themselves. The person also mentions considering using a linear actuator with a device that can reverse polarity to achieve the desired motion. They are seeking advice on the best approach to achieve this.
bimusicmaker
I need to purchase a device that will push something forward and backward continuously, in order to make wings flap like a bird. Linear actuators seem to be the right thing to buy, except these require pressing buttons to go forward and then back. What can I buy/what can I do that will allow a linear actuator (or something similar) to continuously move back-and-forth?

I much rather buy something that already does this than to build a machine or program anything.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not use a simple slider-crank mechanism? This will convert continuous rotation into a reciprocating motion. Sounds to me like what you want.

I agree, however I do not have the resources to make one myself. Do you know of anything I can buy that will accomplish this?

You don't say anything about the stroke, frequency , force, et, required, so no, I don't know where you can buy an undefined mechanism.

The stroke would ideally be around a foot long, frequency would ideally be around 16 rev/min. Force no more than 30 lbs.

Another option I was considering would be to use a linear actuator connected to some sort of device that will reverse polarity every 4 seconds or so in order to achieve this reciprocating motion. I am pretty unexperienced with this sort of thing so any advice would be appreciated.

What is simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement?

Simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line back and forth repeatedly.

What is an example of simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement?

An example of simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement is the motion of a pendulum.

What is the difference between simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement and simple harmonic motion?

The main difference between simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement and simple harmonic motion is that in simple harmonic motion, the amplitude of the motion remains constant while the frequency changes, whereas in simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement, both the amplitude and frequency remain constant.

What are some real-life applications of simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement?

Simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement is commonly used in various machines and mechanisms, such as conveyor belts, pistons, and pumps. It is also utilized in musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos.

How does simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Simple continuous back-and-forth linear movement is related to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain in a state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is responsible for the back-and-forth motion of the object.