1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it realistic to want to become an Electrical Engineer at 45?

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1
    Im 44 almost 45 and have returned to college to begin pursuing a degree as an Electrical Engineer. I know it will take a lot of work and a long time. Is this goal realistic?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sure.

I'm sure you're already aware of what you're looking at. Assuming you have no prior university education, you're looking at 4 years of hard work. On top of that you have to figure out how you're going to (a) pay for it and (b) support yourself (and any dependents) while doing it. It's one thing to graduate with student debt in your mid-twenties. It's another ball of wax to have that same debt load when you're staring fifty in the face. There's also the issue of looking for work after you graduate. I don't think you'll face too much age discrimination at 50. On the contrary, you could come across as a diligent, mature worker who has demonstrated the ability to re-tool.

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3
    Perfectly realistic goal. The field is huge, and if your willing to relocate on the international scale, then number of opportunities will appear endless.
    I returned to education after 6 year out in the real world and am currently halfway through (B.Sc) Physics, my main advantage over everyone else comes down purely to the fact that by being older, I have more actual experience, which has put me in a better position to research, identify and meet my objectives. I scored firsts with >80% in all exams and I would put it down to a maturity, that is invariably crucial in the sciences when considering systems, structures, concepts etc...

5. Aug 9, 2014 #4
    Your responses are helpful

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook