Is it Safe to Distill Santovac Diffusion Pump Oil in a Common Distiller?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VACUUMIST
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
VACUUMIST
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
Fellows
I am new to this exciting forum.
Mostly involved in applied physics, I need to know if it safe to distill dirty Santovac diffusion pump oil just in a common distiller, exposed to air.
I am worried about eventual oil oxidation/cracking.

Thanks!

Roberto
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you need to distill this oil?
It is specifically formulated for very low vapor pressure, not readily distilled.
If it is contaminated, maybe filtration or treatment with an immiscible solvent to extract the contaminant might be simpler alternatives.
If you must distill, watch your temperatures. I don't know how big a margin there is between vaporization and carbonization of that oil.
 
Hello etudiant

Thanks for your comments. I already realized it has a very high boiling temperature, so decided to filter through mole sieve, heating it a bit.
At my country is hard to get and fairly expensive, so I wish to recover the 500 mL I have.
Regards
Roberto