Is it Safe to Schedule a Mammogram After Receiving the COVID-19 Vaccine?

In summary, the Society for Breast Imaging (SBI) is recommending that women schedule their annual mammogram before they get the COVID-19 vaccine or delay screening until four to six weeks after receiving the vaccine. Swollen lymph nodes under the arm, also known as axillary adenopathy, are not an uncommon side effect of receiving a vaccine. They’re temporary and are actually a good sign as far as immunity goes. Prediabetes is even worse - 1/3 of the population has it and and most do not know it. Controlling your Diabetes/Prediabetes will greatly reduce your chance of ending up in hospital or, heaven forbid, dying.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Mammograms Should Be Scheduled Before COVID-19 Vaccine or 4 to 6 Weeks After, Experts Say
I saw this today, and it's something for women to know.

Mammograms Should Be Scheduled Before COVID-19 Vaccine or 4 to 6 Weeks After, Experts Say

The Society for Breast Imaging (SBI) is recommending that women schedule their annual mammogram before they get the COVID-19 vaccine or delay screening until four to six weeks after receiving the vaccine.

The recommendation comes after increasing reports of a side effect following receiving the COVID-19 vaccine: swollen, abnormal-appearing lymph nodes in the armpit on the same side as where COVID-19 vaccines were administered.

Swollen lymph nodes under the arm, also known as axillary adenopathy, are not an uncommon side effect of receiving a vaccine. They’re temporary and are actually a good sign as far as immunity goes.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/canc...o-6-weeks-after-covid-19-vaccine-experts-say/

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, bhobba, Mary Conrads Sanburn and 4 others
Biology news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Summary:: Mammograms Should Be Scheduled Before COVID-19 Vaccine or 4 to 6 Weeks After, Experts Say

After reading all sorts of information about what to do to reduce the likelihood of getting Covid, or reduce the symptoms and/or chance of dying if you do get it, I am convinced the best thing you can do is very simple and should be done Covid or no Covid..

I take a few supplements because of that investigation (if they work or not is another matter) but the single best thing you can do is simply get a physical. That physical should include checking vitamin D levels, and diabeties blood tests. The risk of dying if you have diabetes is a whopping 10%, and 10% of the population has it. Many do not even know it. Prediabetes is even worse - 1/3 of the population has it and and most do not know it. I have read reports where 1/3 or Covid cases that end up in hospital have uncontrolled diabeties, a significant number not even knowing it. Controlling your Diabetes/Prediabetes will greatly reduce your chance of ending up in hospital or, heaven forbid, dying. There are other comorbidities that a physical will pick that also reduces risk eg obesity, high blood pressure etc if treated. The other is vitamin D levels. Something like 50% of people have below the recommended levels of vitamin D (depending on where you live and if it is summer or winter) and 80% of those with Covid have low levels:
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...n-d-deficient#Vitamin-D-and-COVID-19-recovery

Now we know the physical, for females, including the mammogram, should be before they get the vaccine.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Evo
I thought it's been known for some time that many other types of infections cause lymph node abnormalities showing in mammograms. So this would not be something to be alarmed at for those who are worried about vaccine side effects.

Kat-hi said:
I thought it's been known for some time that many other types of infections cause lymph node abnormalities showing in mammograms. So this would not be something to be alarmed at for those who are worried about vaccine side effects.

Evo's thread start was not about being alarmed about something. It's about being smart when scheduling/planning your vaccinations so that false positives are not caused in your mamogram.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the recommended timeline for getting a mammogram after receiving a Covid vaccine?

The American College of Radiology recommends waiting 4-6 weeks after receiving a Covid vaccine to get a mammogram. This is to ensure that any potential swelling or inflammation in the lymph nodes, which can be a normal response to the vaccine, has subsided and will not affect the accuracy of the mammogram results.

2. Can the Covid vaccine cause false positive mammogram results?

Yes, the Covid vaccine can cause temporary swelling or inflammation in the lymph nodes, which can show up on a mammogram as a potential sign of breast cancer. This is known as a false positive result and can be avoided by waiting 4-6 weeks after receiving the vaccine to get a mammogram.

3. Are there any risks associated with getting a mammogram after receiving a Covid vaccine?

No, there are no known risks associated with getting a mammogram after receiving a Covid vaccine. The temporary swelling or inflammation in the lymph nodes is a normal response to the vaccine and should not cause any harm or discomfort during the mammogram procedure.

4. Is it safe to get a mammogram while experiencing side effects from the Covid vaccine?

It is generally recommended to wait until any side effects from the Covid vaccine have subsided before getting a mammogram. This is to ensure that the mammogram results are not affected by any temporary symptoms, such as fever or body aches.

5. Should I reschedule my mammogram if I have recently received a Covid vaccine?

If you have received a Covid vaccine within the past 4-6 weeks, it is recommended to reschedule your mammogram to a later date. This will help to ensure the accuracy of the results and avoid any potential false positives due to temporary swelling or inflammation in the lymph nodes.