Is it worth learning Calculus of Variations?

In summary, the calculus of variations is the origin of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. It is where the whole concept of a 'stationary'/maximal state and least-action principle are applied and expanded to the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.
torstum
Hi everyone,

I'm already familiar with, and have used Lagrangians and Euler-Lagrange equations. I'm interested in calculus of variations, but if it all boils down to solving euler-lagrange equations (and this is probably the part where I'm mistaken), then what's the point? Please tell me if there is more to it than that. I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er.. you have have this thing reversed. The calculus of variation, as far as I can tell, is the ORIGIN of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. It is where the whole concept of a 'stationary'/maximal state and least-action principle are applied and expanded to the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.

So no, they are not the same thing, even though they can lead to the same thing. Least action principle, for example, can account for Fermat's Least time principle. Besides, this would give you an analogous concept to the Feynman's path integral later on.

Zz.

To my mind, the calculus of variations is one of the most beautiful chapters in applied mathematics. There are a lot of problems in physics and engineering whose single solution requires knowledge of calculus of variations.

Think about the famous brahistochrone problem or the famous area-perimeter problems.

torstum said:
Hi everyone,

I'm already familiar with, and have used Lagrangians and Euler-Lagrange equations. I'm interested in calculus of variations, but if it all boils down to solving euler-lagrange equations (and this is probably the part where I'm mistaken), then what's the point? Please tell me if there is more to it than that. I would appreciate it.

Calculus of variation is much more general than the EL equations. So it is worthwhile to understand it. The point is that th evariables with respect to which one varies the actions are not necessarily simply a generalized position and its derivative.

As one example, you could look up the derivation of Einstein's equations from a variational principle applied to the Einstein-Hilbert action. There one varies with respect to the metric so things look quite different than the usual EL equations.

Thanks for the feedback, it sure looks like a beautiful theory, and well worth getting into.

1. What is Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to problems involving a function. It involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity, such as area or energy.

2. Why should I learn Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a powerful tool that has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It helps in solving complex optimization problems and understanding the behavior of systems. It also provides a foundation for other advanced mathematical concepts.

3. Is it difficult to learn Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations can be challenging to learn, as it involves abstract concepts and advanced mathematical techniques. However, with proper guidance and practice, it can be mastered by anyone with a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra.

4. What are the real-world applications of Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations has numerous applications in real-world problems such as finding the optimal shape for a bridge or minimizing energy consumption in a system. It is also used in fields like computer graphics, control theory, and economics.

5. Can I use Calculus of Variations in my research?

Yes, Calculus of Variations is a valuable tool in scientific research, particularly in fields where optimization problems arise. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems and provide insights into their behavior. Many scientific breakthroughs have been made possible with the help of Calculus of Variations.