Is Manipulating the Stefan-Boltzmann Law with Metamaterials Possible?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
gildomar
Messages
98
Reaction score
2
So I saw some papers on arXiv that explore the notion of playing around with the Stefan-Boltzmann law using metamaterials:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5444
http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.1360

I know enough physics that it looks rather interesting, but I don't know enough math to judge how credible it is, particularly since I was a little unclear if the system was actually built and tested or not. What are people's take on it?

p.s. I put this in the Quantum Physics folder due to the Stefan-Boltzmann law ultimately being a quantum mechanical phenomenon. If a different folder would be more appropriate, feel free to move it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This does not appear to have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. Also, if you can make a body radiate thermally more than a blackbody at the same temperature, then I can use that body and a blackbody to build a device that violates the second law of thermodynamics, so I'm highly doubtful that this is correct.