Why Can't Stefan-Boltzmann Law Be Explained in Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a clear explanation for the stefan-boltzmann radiation law and whether it can be explained using classical mechanics or quantum physics. It is mentioned that the law was derived in classical physics but faced challenges when trying to find energy at different frequencies. The conversation also references the "ultraviolet catastrophe" and provides a link for further understanding.
Lavace
I've looked all over the internet, and can't find a decent explanation.

Could someone please explain why the stefan-boltzmann radiation law of I = oT^4 be explained in classical mechanics rather then quantum?

It's urgent, sorry to be pushy.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavace said:

Could someone please explain why the stefan-boltzmann radiation law of I = oT^4 (can't) be explained in classical mechanics rather then quantum?
It can and was. Stefan deduced the rule in 1879 and Boltzmann provided a formal derivation a few years later. This was long before quantum physics.

AM

Lavace said:

Could someone please explain why the stefan-boltzmann radiation law of I = oT^4 be explained in classical mechanics rather then quantum?

It's urgent, sorry to be pushy.

Cheers.

This sounds like a reference to the "ultraviolet catastrophe".

As Andrew points out, the proportionality with T4 was derived in classical physics; but there was a problem in trying to find the energy at different frequencies, and this was resolved by having quantized energy. The link above may help.

Related to Why Can't Stefan-Boltzmann Law Be Explained in Classical Mechanics?

1. Why is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law not explained in classical mechanics?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is not explained in classical mechanics because it involves the concept of thermal radiation, which cannot be fully explained by classical mechanics. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and does not take into account the behavior of subatomic particles, which is crucial in understanding thermal radiation.

2. Can the Stefan-Boltzmann Law be derived from classical mechanics?

No, the Stefan-Boltzmann Law cannot be derived from classical mechanics alone. It requires the use of quantum mechanics and the Planck radiation law to fully explain the relationship between temperature and thermal radiation.

3. Is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law only applicable to certain systems?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a universal law and applies to all systems that emit thermal radiation, regardless of their composition or state of matter. This law is based on fundamental physical principles and has been experimentally validated in various systems, from stars to everyday objects.

4. How does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law relate to the blackbody radiation curve?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is one of the fundamental principles used to derive the blackbody radiation curve. The law states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This relationship is then used to derive the shape of the blackbody radiation curve.

5. Can the Stefan-Boltzmann Law be violated?

Under normal conditions, the Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a highly accurate representation of the relationship between temperature and thermal radiation. However, it is possible for this law to be violated in extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields or in the presence of exotic matter. Additionally, the law may not hold true for systems that do not behave as blackbodies, such as highly reflective surfaces.