Use Planck’s radiation law to derive the Stefan-Boltzmann

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
modphysnoob
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a) Use Planck’s radiation law to derive the Stefan-Boltzmann law for the case of zero background
temperature (i.e., T0 = 0).


Homework Equations


http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/light/plancklaw.gif


The Attempt at a Solution



So I know we are suppose to integrate over all wavelength but I dont' know what should the limit be
 
Physics news on Phys.org
modphysnoob said:

Homework Statement



a) Use Planck’s radiation law to derive the Stefan-Boltzmann law for the case of zero background
temperature (i.e., T0 = 0).


Homework Equations


http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/light/plancklaw.gif


The Attempt at a Solution



So I know we are suppose to integrate over all wavelength but I dont' know what should the limit be

Well, what do you think ALL possible wavelengths means? What is the shortest possible wavelength? (Hint: it can be made arbitrarily short). What is the longest possible wavelength? (Hint: it can be made arbitrarily long).