1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Math Grad School Right for Me?

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    I can't decide if I want to pursue a PhD in math or not.

I like the idea because it would let me keep studying math (interesting), and the challenge would help show me what I am capable of (intellectual potential).

But I can't help but wonder if I would be happier if I changed my major to engineering and get a 70k job at age 23 with weekends off?

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

fss

I'm not really sure what you want people to tell you. We don't have any idea if you will be happier doing a PhD in Math or working as an engineer.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    Personally, I will be opting for the PhD path because the marginal benefit of working for a PhD out weighs the marginal benefit of working as an actuary. You need to decide what you want and go for it.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I myself found grad school to be so difficult and tiring that I would not have lasted through it without a real love for the subject that made thinking about the material enjoyable. Even so, I hardly smiled or laughed until it was over.

I sort of question whether your attitude would carry you through this process. There is something to be said for making more money. but not all engineers I know do so. Engineers suffer from a challenge that pure math types do not, i.e. their stuff has to actually work.

I second the idea that you will probably be better off doing whatever you enjoy more and find more interesting.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    Can you expound?

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    As mathwonk has already stated, you should just do what you find interests you more.

I have passed the P, FM and MFE exams but I only plan on becoming an actuary if something goes horribly wrong and I cannot go to graduate school. I love math more than the money I can make as an actuary and so, as long as I have the choice I will choose going to graduate school over going into industry after getting my bachelors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook