Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is McCain Going To Discard Palin?

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps this is just the surprise factor that he needs to get into contention with Obama. With all of the current dissent over her qualifications and recently the wardrobe spending as well the " bringing along the children by having Alaska pay for it " issues could the Republican party be considering other options to revamp their campaign?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Who would agree to replace her? Even if she manufactured an excuse for withdrawing that was believable (apart from her abject stupidity and lack of qualifications), the radical base would be infuriated at her departure, and right now, that's the only dependable voter bloc that McCain has. Furthermore, what Republican wants to jump on McCain's ship? People on McCain's rumored "short list" were wined and dined and then passed over in favor of Palin, who McCain called the "most qualified" of his candidates for the position.

Don't forget that in states that encourage early and/or absentee voting, lots of people have already cast their votes, and those voters are essentially lost to any effort to revamp the McCain ticket. They have already voted for McCain or Obama (or a third-party candidate) and their die is cast. Last-minute gyrations can't change their votes.

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's too late now - just two weeks to election day.

Even if Palin had a legitimate reason to drop out, no one would see it that way. It would appear that McCain was asking for a mulligan - which would be political suicide.

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I heard from some conservative friends that McCain has asked others and they declined, so Palin was partly by default, and partly to appease the religious right and evangelicals, and also to attract Clinton supporters who claimed their willingness to defect from the democratic party.

Given the early voting, I don't see how McCain could dump Palin. She of course could quit on her own, and that would have interesting repurcussions.

Interestingly - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20081022/pl_ynews/ynews_pl106

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The latest polls today show Palin has a 60% disapproval rating among women under 50. Well, guess bringing in the women's vote didn't work.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  7. Oct 22, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Exactly.

He might as well put a tattoo across his forehead that reads ERRATIC.

8. Oct 23, 2008 #7

Art

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a good move for the Republicans so long as it appeared to have been instigated by Palin herself.

As Evo pointed out one of the major turn-off for many voters is Palin and as the right wing are at this stage already locked onto the McCain ticket, the introduction of someone such as Lieberman (who himself has nothing to lose) in the VP slot would create an interesting scenario. I see it as broadening their appeal without any loss of their current base.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  9. Oct 23, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Except of course that at this point regardless of what the announced reasons are it would be seen for what it is - a last desperate effort to remake themselves. That still smells of erratic.

And choosing Lieberman would be like the most distasteful bait and switch the Far Right would ever have had to endure. I think you could kiss their election day participation a swift good-bye.

10. Oct 23, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't it be the maverick thing to do?

11. Oct 23, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Agreed it would certainly be a mavericky thing to do.

Actually I hope that she doesn't get replaced. I look forward to the concession speeches on election evening as the sun sets in Alaska and as the Nation puts a -30- on her pitiful clueless star turn on the National stage.

Let Alaskans pick the bones of her popularity clean for all I care.

12. Oct 23, 2008 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It does mean she will be the last women republican candidate for a few decades. Whatever committe chooses nominees will be able to show that female candidates are a disaster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?