Is My Cooling Equation Calculation Correct or Is There a Typo in My Textbook?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xsgx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cooling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
xsgx
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I just need someone to confirm my answer so I can be certain that my book has a typo and I am not making a some minuscule mistake that is leading me to the wrong answer.

A piece of metal is heated to 300 degrees Celsius and then placed in a cooling liquid at 50 degrees Celsius. After 4 minutes, the metal has cooled to 175 degrees Celsius. Find it's temperature after 12 minutes.
Equation: F(t)= To+ Ce^-kt

e= Euler's number

I started out solving for k


175= 50 + 300e^-k4
-50 -50

125=300e^-k4
/300 /300
-The Celsius units cancel out-

125/300=e^-k4
Ln Ln

Ln(125/300)= -4k
/-4 /-4

k= .21887

then I plug in the value of k and solve for what temperature the metal will be after 12 minutes have passed.

F(t)= 50+300e^-.21887*12

= 71.700

I end up getting the answer above but the book says the answer is 81.25

Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xsgx said:
I just need someone to confirm my answer so I can be certain that my book has a typo and I am not making a some minuscule mistake that is leading me to the wrong answer.

A piece of metal is heated to 300 degrees Celsius and then placed in a cooling liquid at 50 degrees Celsius. After 4 minutes, the metal has cooled to 175 degrees Celsius. Find it's temperature after 12 minutes.
Equation: F(t)= To+ Ce^-kt

e= Euler's number

I started out solving for k


175= 50 + 300e^-k4
-50 -50

125=300e^-k4
/300 /300
-The Celsius units cancel out-

125/300=e^-k4
Ln Ln

Ln(125/300)= -4k
/-4 /-4

k= .21887

then I plug in the value of k and solve for what temperature the metal will be after 12 minutes have passed.

F(t)= 50+300e^-.21887*12

= 71.700

I end up getting the answer above but the book says the answer is 81.25

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you plug t=0 into your first equation, does it give the right initial temperature?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: xsgx
haruspex said:
If you plug t=0 into your first equation, does it give the right initial temperature?
Wow.. I can't believe I missed that. Thank you.
 
xsgx said:
Wow.. I can't believe I missed that. Thank you.
Btw, there's a very quick way to the answer in this case. You're given an initial temperature difference of 250C, and a later difference of 125C, so you know how long it takes for the difference to halve. In a further twice that time, it quarters to 31C.