Find the temperature of Liquid A after 12 minutes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie Smash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
Richie Smash
Messages
293
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


A liquid A initially at temperature T1= 28.4°C, is heated by an immersion heater in container. The resulting temperature T2 is recorded at 1 minute intervals and the following results obtained.
(I will post a picture)
(a) Complete the table by computing temperature changes ΔT=T2-T1
I've done this and the missing values are: 7.6, 14.7, 24.1, 32.1,40.6,46.7,55.9 degrees Celsius.
(b) Plot a graph of ΔT against time (t). I've also done this.
(c) Find the slope S of the graph, I've also done this and I got 8.33.
(d) Cp the Specific Heat capacity of the liquid is related to the slope S by : Cp=2000/S J Kg-1K-1.
Find the Specific Heat Capacity of the Liquid.
I've also done this and got 240.1J Kg-1K-1.
(e) What would be the temperature of the liquid after 12 minutes?
This is where I'm stuck.

Homework Equations


Eh=m*C*ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really stuck, I was thinking now I have the specific heat capacity i could find the energy supplied, then relate that to the temperature change but I don't have the mass. They basically want X°C-28.4°C and that would give you the temperature change after 12 minutes then simply add to the initial temperature to get the final.

But I'm pretty unsure I've been racking my brain looking for formulas linking temperature and time.
 
Attachments
  • 20180204_123956.jpg
    20180204_123956.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
(e) What would be the temperature of the liquid after 12 minutes?
This is where I'm stuck.
In part (c) you didn't include the units for the slope. This should help with answering part (e). Interpret what the slope is telling you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Richie Smash
The unit would then be degrees Celsius per minute?
 
Richie Smash said:
The unit would then be degrees Celsius per minute?
Yes.
 
Wait, so it's as simple as doing 8.33 degrees celsius per min *12 +28.4 to give me 128.36°C
 
Richie Smash said:
Wait, so it's as simple as doing 8.33 degrees celsius per min *12 +28.4 to give me 128.36°C
Yes, that looks right. However, I don't know how you got your value of 8.33 Co/min for the slope. It appears to be a little too large.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Richie Smash
On My graph I drew a line of best fit, so I suppose there was human error involved in finding the gradient.
 
Richie Smash said:
On My graph I drew a line of best fit, so I suppose there was human error involved in finding the gradient.
Ok. I think your work looks good.
 
Daynea G said:
The graph for the work
I only see one image attached in the thread, the image in post #1. To the right of the image I see part of a sheet of graph paper, but no actual graph.
 
There seems to be an ambiguity as to the entries in the row labeled "Temperature changes ΔT/oC". The first entry is obviously (ΔT)1 = T2 - T1. What about the ith entry? Is it (ΔT)i = Ti+1 - Ti or, as OP surmised, (ΔT)i = Ti+1 - T1? The former set of "instantaneous slope" entries is probably more useful because the average gives an approximate value of the slope that could be verified with a linear fit.