Physics_UG said:
So I decided to go back to a gym membership and get back in shape. About 3 years ago when I was still in grad school I benched about 40 lb dumbells and squatted with 55 lb dumbells. I also rowed with 50 lb dumbells, and military pressed 35-40 lb dumbells. I went to the gym today for the first time in a while and could barely lift the 30 lb dumbells let alone bench press them. I am embarrassed lifting at the gym.
I also could barely walk a mile at 3.8 miles/hr without getting extremely tired and my calves burning like hell.
I feel like crap being so out of shape. For the guys out there, what do you start out lifting when you started out? I am tempted to use machines for a while to get my strength back up. When using machines it is harder to see how much I am lifting and it forces me to use good form.
Back when I was somewhat fit I weighed 175 lbs at 6 ft. Now I am 200 lbs and I have LESS muscle than I had when I was 175 lbs. Terrible.
I would avoid machines if possible. They give you a false sense of strength and typically leave to muscular imbalance. I would just fine a guy to give you pointers about proper form on free weights if you struggle with keeping it. That's the thing about most lifters, they hate to spot, but if you ask them for tips they'll follow you around 'helping' all day.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry to much about what other guys are doing. We all started somewhere and no matter how strong you get, you always notice the guy who is stronger. Thus, must people ignore the new guy who is getting back into it, unless they are an accident waiting to happening. For example, here my stats (now/during my army career.)
Bench Press: 280/325
Squat: 225/350
Deadlift: 380/450
Yet, every morning I see that big guy lifting 280 as his warm up and deadlifting a mini-bus on bars. The key is to know what you are working towards. I just want to maintain my strength, so I don't body build or powerlift or do anything crazy. I keep it simple and short. If your goal is to get into better shape, then ignore everyone else in there and just focus on picking the weight up and that's it. I used to be the afternoon physical training instructor for fat people in the army, and I used to tell those guys that it's really just a battle of time. If you watch your diet, and train, the rest will take care of itself. The key is to live a healthy lifestyle and thus be consistent at it.
When it comes to running and endurance it is a matter of practice. When I first joined the Army they gave me a 45 lb rucksack and said walk 4 miles within an hour, it sucked. By the time I deployed the 2nd time, I could do that with approximately 200 lbs and not throw up. However, it took about 5 years to get to that level. When I deployed the first time, I could do the standard infantry load but and the ranger standard but it wasn't a cake walk. The key is progression be safe progression. Some days are better than others, but you should have a way to mark overall progress. I personally wouldn't do heavy running for more than 12 weeks at a time before taking a break for a week or two. I encourage you to mix up your cardio. Plus walking with a friend or biking with a friend makes further distances go by quickly. Lastly, remember, even if it's a bad run, at least it's a run. That puts you in a better position today, than yesterday!