Calculate calories burned from lifting weights?

In summary: You need to be aware that the "calories" used in categorizing the amount of "energy" in food and in body functions is actually "kcal" in mechanics.2. Even when the weight is not moving, by holding it up, you are still burning calories, since the muscles have to contract and uses up energy. Yet, mechanically, this does no work.3. Similarly, on the downstroke of weight lifting, depending on how slow the weight is moved, energy is still burnt by the muscles, even if mechanically, work is done by the gravitational field.I'm sure physiotherapists have ways of estimating this, but what you did appeared to be too simplistic
enanthate
Hi all,

So I was thinking about how you could calculate the calories burned when lifting weights. The actual energy requirement should be simple enough if I'm not mistaken :

Amount of weight in kg * distance traveled per repetition in m * g constant * number of reps = Joule expenditure

Then take this and divide it by 8-26% efficiency for human muscle.

Does this sound right for a simple, general caloric requirement calculation or am I missing something I should be taking into account

Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant18-26%

enanthate said:
Hi all,

So I was thinking about how you could calculate the calories burned when lifting weights. The actual energy requirement should be simple enough if I'm not mistaken :

Amount of weight in kg * distance traveled per repetition in m * g constant * number of reps = Joule expenditure

Then take this and divide it by 8-26% efficiency for human muscle.

Does this sound right for a simple, general caloric requirement calculation or am I missing something I should be taking into account

Thanks for any input

1. You need to be aware that the "calories" used in categorizing the amount of "energy" in food and in body functions is actually "kcal" in mechanics.

2. Even when the weight is not moving, by holding it up, you are still burning calories, since the muscles have to contract and uses up energy. Yet, mechanically, this does no work.

3. Similarly, on the downstroke of weight lifting, depending on how slow the weight is moved, energy is still burnt by the muscles, even if mechanically, work is done by the gravitational field.

I'm sure physiotherapists have ways of estimating this, but what you did appeared to be too simplistic and not take into account a lot of other significant factors.

Zz.

I agree that it is very simplistic. But that's what I'm looking for :) just want to make sure my thinking is right. In any case this calculation will be on the low side for the reasons you mention
ZapperZ said:
1. You need to be aware that the "calories" used in categorizing the amount of "energy" in food and in body functions is actually "kcal" in mechanics.

2. Even when the weight is not moving, by holding it up, you are still burning calories, since the muscles have to contract and uses up energy. Yet, mechanically, this does no work.

3. Similarly, on the downstroke of weight lifting, depending on how slow the weight is moved, energy is still burnt by the muscles, even if mechanically, work is done by the gravitational field.

I'm sure physiotherapists have ways of estimating this, but what you did appeared to be too simplistic and not take into account a lot of other significant factors.

Zz.
ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Is your 18-24% efficiency just for the muscles moving the weight? And this is for anyone, because I've had the same question as enanthate above, and maybe there is just no way to figure it out...but how do you calculate as a percentage of a 1RM or even vs your body weight.
I guess I'm asking the efficiency in which someone moves a specific weight. Example 20 squats at 50lb for a 200lb man vs a 100lb man, assuming everything else is the same. From a mechanical standpoint the 50lb weight requires the same amount of energy to move it for each person, but in reality does the 200lb man actually burn less calories since it's a smaller percentage of his body weight, ie he's more efficient?

1. How do I calculate the number of calories burned from lifting weights?

To calculate the number of calories burned from lifting weights, you need to know your weight, the duration of your workout, and the type of weightlifting exercises you are doing. Use a calorie calculator or a formula to determine the number of calories burned based on these factors.

2. Does lifting heavy weights burn more calories than lifting light weights?

Yes, lifting heavy weights can burn more calories than lifting light weights. This is because heavy weightlifting puts more stress on your muscles and requires more energy to lift, which results in a higher calorie burn. However, the exact number of calories burned will also depend on other factors such as your weight and the duration of your workout.

3. Do I burn more calories from lifting weights or cardio?

It depends on the intensity and duration of each activity. Generally, cardio exercises burn more calories per minute than weightlifting, but weightlifting can also help increase muscle mass and boost your metabolism, resulting in a higher calorie burn even when at rest.

4. Can I use a fitness tracker to calculate calories burned from lifting weights?

Yes, many fitness trackers have a feature that allows you to track your weightlifting workouts and estimate the number of calories burned. However, keep in mind that these estimates may not be 100% accurate and can vary based on individual factors.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating calories burned from weightlifting?

There are several formulas available for calculating the number of calories burned from weightlifting, such as the MET (Metabolic Equivalent of Task) formula and the Harris-Benedict equation. These formulas take into account factors like weight, duration, and type of exercise to estimate the number of calories burned. However, the most accurate way to determine your calorie burn is through direct measurement using a metabolic analyzer.