Is pure mathematics the basis for all thought?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of pure mathematics in understanding the world and its relationship with physics. The participant believes that mathematics is the core of all academic disciplines and that all other disciplines can be reduced to applied mathematical problems. They also discuss the idea that our universe may be a mathematical structure and wonder why we, as conscious beings, perceive only a certain form of mathematics. The conversation also touches on the concept of axioms and their role in mathematics, and whether absolute truth is attainable through mathematics. Finally, there is a discussion about the relationship between physics and mathematics and whether mathematics serves as an explanation for all physical theories.
Functor97 said:
Very interesting. Are you claiming that mathematics is in essence a calculating game? Your interpretation would make mathematics no different to physics, which is often disparaged for lacking rigor.
I guess my question is, can mathematics ever be perfectly rigorous?

Mathematics is a language, and like any language it is evolving.

If inconsistencies are found in math, like any language, it needs to go through reformulation.

This happens with every language.

There is an important facet though of mathematics that is somewhat paradoxical: mathematics is able to be so broad, yet so precise. This kind of property makes it a great language as not many languages have this property.

If our descriptive capacity is lacking to consistently describe something, we will ultimately have to create lingual definitions that fill the gap: this is what has happened before and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.