Is Redshift an Accurate Indicator of the Universe's Expansion Rate?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Redshift
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
_Mayday_
Messages
808
Reaction score
0
Hey! :smile:

I have a few questions regarding redshift. Firstly are there example of a shift in frequency of light other than the one seen in redshift or blueshift. I mean are there experiments that have been conducted that prove that this noted shift to the red end of the spectrum mean that something is moving away relative to an observer?

Secondly, would I be correct in saying that the noted redshift now is actually, and indication of the rate of expansion quite a while back, taking into account the speed that the light takes to reach the observer. How do we know that the rate of expansion has decreased or infact it has start to contract again? There must be a way to calculate the rate of expansion now.

Thanks for any help!

_Mayday_
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org