Is rotation a relative property?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relative nature of velocity and the confusion surrounding the concept of absolute velocity. The speaker brings up the idea of rotation and questions whether there can be an absolute state of "not rotating." The conversation also touches on the idea of acceleration and the difference between proper acceleration and coordinate acceleration. The speaker is left baffled and asks for clarification.
Lazzini
I was recently trying to explain to a grandchild the relative nature of velocity (the different paths of a coin dropped by a passenger on a train, as seen by the passenger on one hand and a trackside observer on the other), and the invalidity of the concept of absolute velocity.

For some reason my thoughts turned to the Earth's rotation, and I tried, in my head, to relate linear motion to rotation, ending up in utter confusion.

I imagined a reverse rotation, of the same magnitude as its present rotation but in the opposite direction, being applied to the Earth. It would then, presumably, have a rotation of zero. But with respect to what? If we speak of zero velocity, it's zero with reference to something else. But what could zero rotation mean? Are there an infinity of states of zero rotation, just as there must be an infinite number of "zero" velocities? I can visualise one situation, but not the other, and I find that it all seems to conjure up the notion of absolute rotation. It leaves me completely baffled. Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotation produces locally detectable effects (see Foucault's pendulum, for example), so is not relative in the sense that linear velocity is. There is an absolute state of "not rotating" - the one in which Foucault's pendulum does not turn.

Edit: just to add - acceleration is, in general, a direct observable and "am I accelerating or not" is a question with an absolute answer (although there are a few technical caveats around that). When you are going round in a circle, you are accelerating, so it's directly measurable whether you are rotating or not.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Lazzini said:
Summary: Is rotation a relative property?

I was recently trying to explain to a grandchild the relative nature of velocity (the different paths of a coin dropped by a passenger on a train, as seen by the passenger on one hand and a trackside observer on the other), and the invalidity of the concept of absolute velocity.

For some reason my thoughts turned to the Earth's rotation, and I tried, in my head, to relate linear motion to rotation, ending up in utter confusion.

I imagined a reverse rotation, of the same magnitude as its present rotation but in the opposite direction, being applied to the Earth. It would then, presumably, have a rotation of zero. But with respect to what? If we speak of zero velocity, it's zero with reference to something else. But what could zero rotation mean? Are there an infinity of states of zero rotation, just as there must be an infinite number of "zero" velocities? I can visualise one situation, but not the other, and I find that it all seems to conjure up the notion of absolute rotation. It leaves me completely baffled. Can someone explain?

Do not read this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach's_principle

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
PeroK said:
Do not read this!
... Too late...

• Haha
Likes Ibix
Also watch this with your grandchild:

Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
Edit: just to add - acceleration is, in general, a direct observable and "am I accelerating or not" is a question with an absolute answer (although there are a few technical caveats around that).
To be precise, proper acceleration - the thing that an accelerometer measures - is a direct observable that is happening or not in an absolute sense. Coordinate acceleration - "the speed is changing" - is relative because speed itself is relative.

(Ibix already knows this, of course. This comment is for others following the thread)

1. What is rotation?

Rotation is the circular movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

2. Is rotation a relative property?

Yes, rotation is a relative property because it depends on the reference frame from which it is observed. The direction and speed of rotation may appear different to observers in different reference frames.

3. How is rotation measured?

Rotation is typically measured in degrees or radians, which represent the amount of angle turned by an object. It can also be measured in revolutions, which is the number of times an object completes a full circular motion.

4. Can rotation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, rotation can be observed in everyday life in various forms such as the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the rotation of a wheel on a moving car, or the rotation of a spinning top.

5. What is the difference between rotation and revolution?

Rotation refers to the circular movement of an object around a fixed point, while revolution refers to the circular movement of an object around another object. For example, the Earth rotates around its own axis, but it also revolves around the sun.