Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Russian meteor related to a asteroid known as 2012 DA14?

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1

M@2

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Unless you've done the math to determine the orbital characteristics of the meteor and compared them to 2012 DA14, then I will take NASA's opinion over yours. And even then I probably still would.
    The chance that the meteor was related to 2012 DA14 and happened to be pulled into an approach trajectory that is completely opposite of what it was prior to its encounter with the Earth is very remote, if not impossible.

4. Feb 15, 2013 #3

M@2

Probability is thin thing. You see shallow trajectory. To have shallow trajectory is ALMOST impossible!!! But it DOES real!!!

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Probability is an very important part of science.

Please provide a reference stating the meteors trajectory. Then we can discuss it.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5

M@2

I read arguments in russian press. They say about OPPOSITE directions of russian meteor and asteroid, so they decide that asteroid and meteor are unconnected.

But what about meteor, being a member of "2012 DA14 asteroid belt" (in some sense), made 1/2 revolt around the Earth chandged the direction of motion?

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

Drakkith

Very unlikely. That's why they claim they aren't connected. I don't think they Earth's gravitational pull is strong enough to completely change the trajectory of the meteor BEFORE it hits the atmosphere. Not if it was traveling at a similar velocity to 2012 DA14. And if it wasn't traveling the same speed, then it wouldn't be connected.

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7

Drakkith

9. Feb 16, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We have many reputable sources stating that the two are unrelated.

Do you have any reputable source arguing that there is a relation between the two?? If not, then this thread is over.

10. Feb 16, 2013 #9

M@2

My reputable source is my education.
    Do You have reputable source publications?

I don't think "reputable" source can publish "reputable" article with "reputable" data about Russian meteor in one day.
    Have you russian anti-missile system data already?
    In 1961 we shot down american spy plane U-2 about the same place.

There were data that we, russians, tryed to shot down meteor :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  11. Feb 16, 2013 #10

M@2

Before or not before in outer space bodyes obey Newton's gravitational law. And can be captured by Earths gravitation if their trajectories are close enough to Earth.

12. Feb 16, 2013 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I thought so. Please be sure to read our rules: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook