Is Sonoluminescence Possible with Liquid Hydrogen?

In summary, the conversation was about sonoluminescence studies with liquid hydrogen and whether or not they have been done. The person asking the question had done some basic research but found no information. The other person mentioned that sonoluminescence has been observed in hydrogen bubbles in water and provided a link to a research paper on the topic. The initial question was answered and the possibility of obtaining a free copy of the paper was mentioned.
smilodont
I did do some basic googling on this, but I came up empty-handed. Have there been any sonoluminescence studies done with liquid hydrogen? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that answers my question if it was a hydrogen bubble. I would like to read the whole text but it doesn't seem to be available.

If it is for non-commercial use, you may be able to get a free copy here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234902629_Single-bubble_sonoluminescence_from_hydrogen

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Sonoluminescence Possible with Liquid Hydrogen?

1. What is sonoluminescence?

Sonoluminescence is the phenomenon in which sound waves create tiny bubbles in a liquid, which then collapse rapidly and produce light. This process is also known as "cavitation."

2. How does sonoluminescence occur?

Sonoluminescence occurs when sound waves create a standing wave in a liquid, causing the liquid molecules to vibrate and form bubbles. The bubbles then collapse due to the high pressure of the sound waves, producing a flash of light.

3. What are the applications of sonoluminescence?

Sonoluminescence has various applications in fields such as medicine, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used for sonochemistry to facilitate chemical reactions, in medical imaging and therapy, and for creating extreme conditions for studying materials.

4. Can sonoluminescence be produced in any liquid?

Sonoluminescence can occur in any liquid, but the properties of the liquid, such as viscosity and surface tension, can affect the intensity and duration of the light produced.

5. How is sonoluminescence studied?

Sonoluminescence is studied using high-speed cameras and specialized equipment to measure the light intensity and duration. Researchers also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the underlying physical processes.