How do Hoop Mode Transducers Work?

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mode Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a ring transducer with a hoop vibration mode to power a sonoluminescence experiment. The person is attaching a picture of their current set-up and has a question about whether sound energy will be transferred to the water if the transducer is placed on a flat aluminum disc and epoxyed. They also mention the need to read about the challenges faced by others in similar experiments.
nst.john
So I am looking to possibly use a ring transducer that has a hoop vibration mode to power a sonoluminescence experiment I am doing for school. I am attaching a picture of the set-up I have now and the aluminum disc in the picture is where I will epoxy the transducer so it can send sound waves into the water. My question is, if I lay lay a piezoelectric ring transducer on a flat aluminum disc and epoxy it, since it is in hoop mode which to me means that it will be having mechanical movement perpendicular to the direction of the water, will any sound energy be transferred to the water? Please help me I am very lost in my research right now. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Forgot to attach the picture, here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_113152724.jpg
    IMG_20160617_113152724.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 513
Is that the right picture?

Yes

I can't answer your question. But SL demonstration is more often than not marked by failure, it seems, so you would do well to read of the travails of others before diving in, e.g.,
http://techmind.org/sl

Good luck with it all.
thumbsup.gif

nst.john said:
since it is in hoop mode which to me means that it will be having mechanical movement perpendicular to the direction of the water,

i never messed with 'hoop transducer'

can you post its datasheet ?

And what does "perpendicular to the direction of the water" mean ? Perpendicular to plane of your flat disc ?

1. What is a Hoop Mode Transducer?

A Hoop Mode Transducer is a type of transducer used in scientific experiments and measurements. It is composed of a thin, circular membrane that is stretched over a rigid hoop, with a coil of wire attached to the membrane. When an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the membrane, causing it to vibrate and produce sound waves.

2. How do Hoop Mode Transducers produce sound?

Hoop Mode Transducers produce sound through the process of electromechanical conversion. The electrical current passing through the coil creates a magnetic field, which interacts with the membrane and causes it to vibrate. These vibrations produce sound waves that can be detected and measured.

3. What are the advantages of using Hoop Mode Transducers?

One of the main advantages of Hoop Mode Transducers is their high sensitivity and accuracy in measuring small vibrations. They are also highly versatile and can be used in a wide range of applications, from studying the properties of materials to detecting seismic activity. Additionally, they are relatively simple to use and can be easily calibrated for specific experiments.

4. How are Hoop Mode Transducers different from other types of transducers?

Hoop Mode Transducers are unique in that they use a thin, circular membrane to produce sound waves, rather than a solid material like most other transducers. This allows them to be more sensitive to small vibrations and produce a wider range of frequencies. Additionally, they are less affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, making them more reliable in various conditions.

5. What are some common applications of Hoop Mode Transducers?

Hoop Mode Transducers have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in materials testing, non-destructive evaluation, geophysics, and acoustics research. They can also be found in everyday devices such as microphones and speakers, where their high sensitivity and accuracy are crucial for producing high-quality sound.