How do Hoop Mode Transducers Work?

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So I am looking to possibly use a ring transducer that has a hoop vibration mode to power a sonoluminescence experiment I am doing for school. I am attaching a picture of the set-up I have now and the aluminum disc in the picture is where I will epoxy the transducer so it can send sound waves into the water. My question is, if I lay lay a piezoelectric ring transducer on a flat aluminum disc and epoxy it, since it is in hoop mode which to me means that it will be having mechanical movement perpendicular to the direction of the water, will any sound energy be transferred to the water? Please help me I am very lost in my research right now. Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Forgot to attach the picture, here it is:

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor
Is that the right picture?

Yes

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I can't answer your question. But SL demonstration is more often than not marked by failure, it seems, so you would do well to read of the travails of others before diving in, e.g.,
http://techmind.org/sl

Good luck with it all.
thumbsup.gif

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
since it is in hoop mode which to me means that it will be having mechanical movement perpendicular to the direction of the water,
i never messed with 'hoop transducer'

can you post its datasheet ?

And what does "perpendicular to the direction of the water" mean ? Perpendicular to plane of your flat disc ?